Catching your chickens,

My chickens free range while I am at work, but must come in when I get home so I can let the dogs out.
I have a sheep herding dog, and she usually she 'puts then away", but recently, she's gone nutty (season?) and she won't even look at them.

Now I don't fee them in the morning, so when I get home, they come running to me, and I put the food in the run.

My hens usually go in when i open the door thing for them. other wise they cant get in. but when one mysteriously gets out, i crouch and with a quick movement touch them and they stick their shoulders up and look like they are ready to stand their ground. but of course i can lift them up without hassle.

It's tough to catch some of my chickens, like when I need to dose them with Eprinex or dust them (I did that once each), and soon I have to thin my roosters out so I'll need to catch those buggers. Not looking forward to that, and my roosts are too high so that I can't reliably get to them that way either. My elderly father said they used to use a net when he was young - I may have to try that. I hate scaring them tho.

The hens that we raised from chicks were so tame, they like to be held. But the ones that were hatched from a mama hen, they don't really like us getting too close. That's the one negative about having a broody hatch your chicks.

My crew open free ranges and I trained mine to come when I whistle. No matter where they are, if they can hear me, they will dart to me. Handy if you need them to come in because of a near by predator or whatever.

No problem with mine...they all come running and follow me around the yard....never gets old for them or me
love.gif

We bribed them with treats and every time we brought the treats out I made sure we called them. Now, treat or not all I have to do is walk into the yard and yell, "Here chick, chick, chick," and they come running. They'll follow me right into the run.

Quote:
mine do this too...so funny.....I tell my hubby they love me, he says no, you are carrying treats...same thing isn't it?
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom