Charleston we have a Broody here!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WannaBeHillBilly, Jul 19, 2019.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Duck eggs are a little easier to candle in daylight, if you have a good light — 250+ lumens. (iPhone flashlight works pretty well lol) From the pic above, if you can walk inside there, hold the egg near the back wall, in a dark corner and you should be able to see development.
    Once you see growth in one, you’ll know if the others are developing or not. But don’t remove any until around day 10-14.

This was around day 5 of a duck egg, I believe.
    WP_20180311_23_10_35_Pro.jpg

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    We nicknamed one of my girls The Dragon. :gig

3. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    Tornado :gigi call my male Pekin Earthquake:lau

4. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Team flappy foot

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    You guys are too funny! :gig
    I'll be sticking around to see how this one goes. :pop
    Best of luck with your broody!:thumbsup

YodaBat, PATOS, quackiemama and 5 others like this.
  5. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    I love how much you love your Ducks! How much cat food do you feed them? I hear it can cause issues if fed in large amounts:confused:

6. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    :gigEarthquake?! :lau Good one!
    I thought about naming the largest of my White Layers "Earthquack". She is even larger than Blanca Duck, the walking mouse-trap.

7. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Team flappy foot

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    I like to refer to our Pekin lady as De'ville because her quack reminds me of a '76 Caddy. If she wants something, everybody knows about it!

8. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    They all get tree spoons of cat-food and three spoons of mealworms every morning and every evening. I am using the spoon that came with the cat food, it says one spoon is one meal for one grown up cat. So they get 12 spoons of cat-food/mealworms per day for 17 ducks, that's not too much i think. Over the day they have much more protein from all these pesky grashoppers but they have to work for it.
    Feeding too much protein will not have as much negative effects on fully grown ducks as feeding too much carbs (cracked corn!) or fats. Too much crab's and fats make the ducks fat and lazy, only during the Winter time i offer them cracked corn for dinner to keep them warm during the cold nights. The downside of a too protein rich diet is the horrible smell of the stuff that comes out of the other end of the duck… :sick
    And its the same as with us "humons": The kind of food is not so important as long as you are using the calories you are gulping down. My dad ate a lot of lard and never developed any health problems due to it, because he was working hard in construction. My ducks have the duty to mow the grass on over 500m² (>5000sqft) and keep it free of ticks and other pesky insects, so they are running around a lot. They also have to till and fertilize all wet spots, so that i can sow some tasty stuff in there…
    The last two days were an exception: It was so hot here that they were sitting in the shade most of the day, panting.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  9. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    :gig:lau
    I love the deep QUACK of those large girls! My White Layers have developed that too, when they want out in the morning…

10. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    :lau I nicknamed him Earthquake because his real name is Quakers and when he comes nearby anyone everybody knows about him :gig

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: