Cheap building supplies are out there!

Need pics here......both the crates and what you built with them.
I built this corner ammunition box for a friend. The top is obviously a displayfor all the European mounts i did for him and the bottom chest is the storage part. 100% lawn mower crated except for the hinges and handles. It has since been stained.
Still waiting to see if my mom can work her cell phone camera for photos of the hutches i built for her. 😂

Attachments

• 20170331_154753.jpg
    20170331_154753.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 20
These lawn mower crates are generally 2x3" pine base ("stickers") with true 1 1/2 x 2" oak, birch, maple, or pine braces. The vertical sides and tops are 1/2-3/4" x 4"-8" slats of pine, oak, birch or maple.
They can be used as is for a rustic appearance or planed down for a beautiful finish.
None are pressure treated so exterior paint will be necessary for exposure use.
The length varies depending on the size of the mower but up to 8ft is possible. Sometimes larger crates that may have brought air compressors, generators, etc will have full size 2x4s.
Cull bins at these stores will have wood available at 75% off and it can be anything. Last fall i got (6) 2x12x16ft pressure treated for a total of $26. I have ripped them down into 2x4s and made garden gates and various other outdoor farm things with them for less than 1/2 of what just 1 board costs today.

Here is a photo of my latest haul.

My coop was built with the wood from these disassembled crates (everything except for the shingled roof and pressure treated 4x4s and floor joists).

The 3rd pic is of my son's playhouse that i intentionally made to look like an old outhouse. All the framing is from the crates. The siding was scrap wood from an old pig sty that i tore down on the property to scavenge wood to be used on our fireplace and the roof is left over shingles from the coop build.

The goat house is at the far end of the property. I will see if i can remember to snap a pic of it later today.

All the furniture has been made for others and i never realized that I didn't photograph any of it. I'll see if they will send me some pix too.

The rest are just small little projects or Christmas presents. I built 2 "christmas tree" shaped corner shelves for my mom to display Christmas decorations, a countertop wine bottle holder, countless photo frames both rustic and refined, and the 2 rectangle boxes were lined with tanned deer hide (i did myself) and were containers used to hold personalized hand made hunting knives (not made by me) to be given to my father and uncle for christmas

You are wonderfully talented.

Thanks for sharing!

My coop was built with the wood from these disassembled crates (everything except for the shingled roof and pressure treated 4x4s and floor joists).

The 3rd pic is of my son's playhouse that i intentionally made to look like an old outhouse. All the framing is from the crates. The siding was scrap wood from an old pig sty that i tore down on the property to scavenge wood to be used on our fireplace and the roof is left over shingles from the coop build.

The goat house is at the far end of the property. I will see if i can remember to snap a pic of it later today.

All the furniture has been made for others and i never realized that I didn't photograph any of it. I'll see if they will send me some pix too.

The rest are just small little projects or Christmas presents. I built 2 "christmas tree" shaped corner shelves for my mom to display Christmas decorations, a countertop wine bottle holder, countless photo frames both rustic and refined, and the 2 rectangle boxes were lined with tanned deer hide (i did myself) and were containers used to hold personalized hand made hunting knives (not made by me) to be given to my father and uncle for christmas
Well hell, look at you go!

Wow this is great. Looks like I could make wooden soapmaking molds out of this as well. Nice! Thanks for the tip!!

Back
Top Bottom