Chick might be sick?

Roslyn

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Cle Elum, WA
This is urgent! I really need some advice really quick.

I recently bought twelve chicks, it's my first time raising them and we've made sure that every possible aspect of their enclosure is perfect. They're all about two days old.

They all seem to be very healthy, except for one. She's an Ameraucana and a very pretty girl; we would hate to lose her.

I've been observing the chicks and this one seems to like being held, she'll sleep in your hand and won't want to leave it when you set her back in the brooder; the problem being that she'll kind of walk around in a logy way and her breathing pattern seems to be heavier than the other chicks. She'll stay in one place and hang her head, but won't settle down to sleep or anything, and kind of ignores it when the other chicks peck at her.

We were originally concerned that she was pasting up, but when we checked, she wasn't. We even gave her vent a little wash and nothing seems to work. Help, please?

Edit:
She also has a very strange trill that she makes when the other chicks come close, and a unique peep. If that helps at all.

Last edited:
I don't know what to say other than keep an eye on her. Is she warm enough? Maybe someone else can chime in with other suggestions??

Oh, and BTW,
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from SE Pa.

I had one too..and still do. Mine waddles like a duck..something wrong with her leg, but I can't find what. I pay a lot of attention to her and I separated her with just 2 small, docile friends and placed the others in a separate brooder. I wake up everyday to find she is still doing her thang..making those noises, staying under the light to keep warm..waddling like a duck..but she eats, drinks, poops..and does her best. She is still much smaller than most, but about the size of the others I left with her. I also give her sav a chick in her water..that has seemed to help a lot.

welcome-byc.gif

Ok, she definitely sounds like she is feeling poorly. Maybe has a fever.
What kind of feed do you have them on?
Keep her warm & pampered. And make sure she is eating & drinking. Put a little sugar in her water to give her a little boost. Sav-A-Chik or another vitamin/electrolyte solution in her water for a couple days would be better, or if you have Poly-vis-ol from Enfamil (no iron formula), give her a drop a day for a few days. 1 drop for chicks, 2 for smaller hens, 3 for standards.
You could boil up an egg & feed her some of the yolk for some added protein.
If she doesn't seem to be eating, take some starter ration & moisten it with some warm water to form a paste or slurry & see if she will eat that. The chick feed has everything in it a growing chick needs.
Please keep us informed on how she is doing.

AND..the first 3 days I did hold her a lot becuase she would get sleep..I would put her in a towel, in a shoebox and keep her next to me with fresh water and some food..she did not seem comfortable trying to sleep knowing she would get trampled on..but with me or in the box, she slept like a log..and sleep is good for recovery..just make sure she eats and drinks..sometimes I would dip my finger in the water and place the drop at the tip of her beak and she would drink that way.

Quote:
I have isolated her with another docile chick and a bit of egg yolk, she is sleeping and the other little one is pressed up against her; they seem to be doing fine. I haven't gotten her to eat much of the yolk yet, but I am going to try the paste next. Thank you for your help, hopefully she'll feel better!

Right now, sleep is good. That is one thing a body needs to help recuperate. And having a buddy to snuggle up with is a good idea. It will help keep her warm.
If you suspect your chickens are not eating enough, try adding a little variety to their diet. Try to stir a small amount of water, milk or yogurt into their mash. Or mix some of their mash in with some cottage cheese, cooked oatmeal or tomatoes.
Whenever one of my girls seems a bit "off", I supplement her diet by feeding her some foods that are high in vitamins A, K & E , especially vit. A. She might have a nutrient deficiency, and vitamin A is one of the most important vitamins for a chickens overall health.
Some foods high in vit. A are: broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, mangoes & tomato juice. Spinach, peppers & alfalfa leaves for K, and sweet potatoes & broccoli for E, which helps boost the immune system.
If you have any of these veggies, boil them up until they are soft & chop them into bite-size pieces or mash them with a fork.
Just feed in tiny amounts. The chick starter is still the best thing for them, but getting them to eat anything, period, is important too, if they aren't eating well for you.
Hope this helps.
smile.png

you all are great! great advice!
clap.gif

thanks for taking the time to post. as others are reading, me!, and it helps alot of us!
blessings~
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom