Chick with a gas-filled crop! I need advice!!

Leannas

Hatching
Jul 15, 2022
7BDB3BBF-B559-45DE-9E87-93951481B6A6.jpeg

This chick had to manually be hatched. It is 6 days old. Today I noticed that it was stumbling around and it's crop was filled with gas. It hasn't eaten all day but it is drinking. Any advice??

Hi there, It's likely a fluid filled crop or air bladder issue, chickens have air bladders around their bodies. Can you get pictures?
It is definitely the crop, when it's air-filled and you lightly press on it, the chick burps. We aren't sure if this should be a cause for concern or not. Just now the chick has perked up and is walking fine, but the crop still fills with air/fluid.

It is definitely the crop, when it's air-filled and you lightly press on it, the chick burps. We aren't sure if this should be a cause for concern or not. Just now the chick has perked up and is walking fine, but the crop still fills with air/fluid.
What happened with your chick? I fed my hens some old food and their crops ballooned up with gas. I don’t know if they will be okay or if I should do something to help them? But what?

Back
Top Bottom