Chick with eye injury or infection?

Amberly98

Songster
7 Years
Oct 14, 2015
Orangrvale, CA
We purchased 3 bantam Cohen chicks a few days ago from (what I was told was a reputable) breeder. I got them home and let them settle for the night. I noticed one of them had its eye partially closed (but not swollen) and the feathers around the eye looked they they had gotten wet at one time but were dry now. Upon further exam it looked like it had something white in the corner of its eye. When I gently pressed/moved the skin around the eye a small hard-ish chunk came out of the eye. it was about 1/2 the size of a grain of rice and about the consistency of wax. Once this was out the chick opened its eye all the way and went back to its normal business. The chicks will be a week old tomorrow and are acting normal (appetite and energy level). Any ideas what that is? Should I teat with AK-POLY-Bac ointment for a few days? I have raised quite a few chick over the past 5 years and have never dealt with something like this....any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

We purchased 3 bantam Cohen chicks a few days ago from (what I was told was a reputable) breeder. I got them home and let them settle for the night. I noticed one of them had its eye partially closed (but not swollen) and the feathers around the eye looked they they had gotten wet at one time but were dry now. Upon further exam it looked like it had something white in the corner of its eye. When I gently pressed/moved the skin around the eye a small hard-ish chunk came out of the eye. it was about 1/2 the size of a grain of rice and about the consistency of wax. Once this was out the chick opened its eye all the way and went back to its normal business. The chicks will be a week old tomorrow and are acting normal (appetite and energy level). Any ideas what that is? Should I teat with AK-POLY-Bac ointment for a few days? I have raised quite a few chick over the past 5 years and have never dealt with something like this....any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
If it’s ophthalmic I would use it for sure!!

Sounds like it may have been a little bit of pus in the eye, chicken pus is firm and that's what your description sounds like. The chick could have been pecked, or gotten some debris in that eye. Getting the pus out is a good thing. The ointment for a few days would be a good idea, prevent any further infection.

Sounds like it may have been a little bit of pus in the eye, chicken pus is firm and that's what your description sounds like. The chick could have been pecked, or gotten some debris in that eye. Getting the pus out is a good thing. The ointment for a few days would be a good idea, prevent any further infection.
I didn't know that about their pus. Thanks for rhe reply.

Back
Top Bottom