Chick with (semi-fixed?) Spraddled/splay leg.

louiseschwieker

Songster
Jul 6, 2016
I have a silkie chick that hatched about 2 days ago. she hatched a couple days earlier than expected. When we put her in the broader I noticed she had straddle leg and couldn't walk. I made a brace for her when I noticed her issue. The brace I made was like the one from the chicken chick website. I left the brace on for a day, checked it the next and I noticed it was a little bit better. It still looks the same today as it did yesterday. Do I need to make it so her legs are closer together or does she just need to build up strength? I'll post pictures in the comments

20170804_232937.jpg
20170804_232940.jpg
20170804_232953.jpg
she can climb on top of the washcloth and get to her food and water just fine.

I'm just not sure if she would be okay if I left her like this or if I should put the brace back on there fully. Or even if I should do something different. I'm already attached to her and she's really sweet.

Any kind of help would be appreciated. This is the first chick I've had with this problem so I'm new to this

Update: her legs have been fixed. The day after I took those photos she gained strength back in her legs and she walks normally now.

For anyone wanting to know what I did, here it is:
▪I noticed that she couldn't stand up and her legs were out to the side a couple hours after she hatched.
▪ got self adhesive sports wrap and cut it into 2 small pieces (about 3 cm wide and 2 inches long. Depends on the chicks leg size.) to wrap around her legs. The wrap should only go above where the foot bends and where the "knee" begins.
▪ wrap 1 small piece around each leg described above.
▪ cut 1 longer piece (about 3 cm wide and 4 inches long, depending on chick size)
▪wrap longer piece around BOTH legs. Position legs to where they should be on a chick normally. (Underneath the body. Leave about a 1 inch gap between the legs after you wrapped the long piece)
▪ every day take off the long piece of wrap and evaluate how the legs are positioned. If you feel the wrap needs to be on longer, repeat for one more day.
▪ FOR THE FIRST DAY: Keep a CLOSE eye on your chick to make sure he/she hasn't fallen into the water. They can get too cold or drown. After the first day they should have gotten used to the wrap and should walk around somewhat normally.
● if you have any questions about how I treated spraddle/splayed leg just message me on here (keep in mind I don't check very often) or feel free to email me at [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom