Chicken Badly Injured by Dog

Sep 3, 2018
Hi, Today was very tragic because a neighborhood dog attacked and killed one of our young silkies and also badly injured one of our hens. The injury is pretty deep (you can see a bone exposed under/near her neck area) and there’s muscle and tissue exposed. We don’t have any antibiotics or ointments on hand to treat her topically with but we did rinse the wound well with saline and placed gauze in the deeper wound and also wrapped her with gauze in the exposed areas to try and prevent infection until we can get Blu-kote or any supplies tomorrow morning. We separated her into our garage inside a cage with towel bedding with food and water to prevent the other hens from messing with her. We’re not sure that she’ll survive this bad/deep of a wound but we’re trying to help her as much as we can. I’ll insert a picture that i took of the wound before treating it and if I get any other pictures I’ll insert those as well but I only have one as of now. Help?)):

Attachments

• DE2196F1-F586-4479-9991-57DC8E3ED4E5.jpeg
    DE2196F1-F586-4479-9991-57DC8E3ED4E5.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 19
your doing well might want to mix a a bit of sugar water if you do not have nutri drench
she needs it now, pickup Neosporin . It is used to prevent infections use no pain killers please

Mix a teaspoon of salt with a gallon of water, put it in an old mister-type cleaning bottle (thoroughly washed) and gently spray her back to clean off the dirt and blood. Cut short some of the feathers around the wound to remove a source of contamination. Do you have triple-antibiotic ointment in a first-aid kit? You want to keep that wound moist.

Thanks for the advice. We can’t do much else tonight because it’s really late, but My mother is a nurse and she had gauze and saline on hand so we cleaned it well with saline and just wrapped her well with gauze just to help until morning when she can pick up antibiotics, but we are feeling discouraged because of the depth of the wound, we hope she can survive this)): and I’m from the southern part of the united states, near Alabama.

She’s currently in our garage, we wanted to wrap it because there could be bugs and stuff in there that we didn’t want the wound to be exposed to, but we will undo it in the morning if it’ll help.

Back
Top Bottom