Chicken Breed Focus - Ayam Cemani

So I feel pretty lucky here. I'd love to know more about them, try breeding them down the line, if that's a good idea. I'm going to see if I can convince the farmer to let me house them seperately if there is indeed an interest in these chickens. I used to live breeding mice, then got into plumaria, now I've been working more and more closely with the chickens, even if jyst to see what they cross with with my chickens, this is a real unique chicken to fall into my lap, hoping to learn more about it!

I don't why that posted 3 times. But I didn't selected the right pictures either.... always look better in the thumbnail

Looks like he has a lot of leakage. Despite his skin being solid black, a rooster with leakage should not be bred. It's important that all the feathers be black too.

Looks like no he has a lot of leakage. Despite his skin being solid black, a rooster with leakage should not be bred. It's important that all the feathers be black

That's a little disappointing to hear. I wasn't looking to sell the chicks or anything, im a chicken egg farmer more than a chicken breeder, but I was looking forward to trying to s if I could get a black chick or two to keep the birds going for myself.

I might still try, the hen doesn't have any leakage. Maybe genetically they will pass on the right traits...?

That's a little disappointing to hear. I wasn't looking to sell the chicks or anything, im a chicken egg farmer more than a chicken breeder, but I was looking forward to trying to s if I could get a black chick or two to keep the birds going for myself.

I might still try, the hen doesn't have any leakage. Maybe genetically they will pass on the right traits...?

The trouble is, males show leakage and hens don't. He'll pass on his leakage to his offspring, so even if the females aren't showing it they could still be carrying it, and it will pop up again down the line. It's very hard to breed out once you breed it in.

He's still pretty :) He just shouldn't be used as a breeder.

Am I right in thinking they are still very young? Is it possible they were given up because of the leakage? Just thinking, won't ever really know. Is it worth saying they are still nice because they are the breed? I'm nurse a fancier of having nice breeds in general, in just starting so I don't really expect perfect, this kind of thing is just really cool landing in my lap like this.

I used to like to breed fancy mice in my teens if that says anything about my personality. Not to have more nice but to have cool variations. They're really beautiful.

My Ayam Cemani's:
IMG_9150.JPG

IMG_9040.JPG

IMG_6732.JPG

IMG_6742.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9143.JPG
    IMG_9143.JPG
    870.8 KB · Views: 18
Really very beautiful! Convinced the farmer today to let me build these two chickens a small coop if their own, as my hen "flew the coop" from the the other less civilized working chickens last night, lol. Their temperament is very sweet and they eat right out of my hand when I offer them food, and cuddle right up when I hold them. :)

I need to cull a couple of my cemani cockerels. They are from GFF. I am very new to this breed, I mainly breed Phoenix chickens. They are about 15 weeks old, the two most developed cockerels have a little bit of mulberry in their wattles. Should they be culled? The other 2 haven't developed the wattles that the bigger cockerels have, the smaller ones they do have are still very black. They have decent color, grey tongues, no pink in mouth. Keeping 2 of the 4. Any advice? @Pyxis @cjwaldon ?

20180906_172609.jpg 1.
20180906_172801.jpg 2.
20180906_172856.jpg 3.
20180906_172912.jpg 4.

Attachments

• 20180906_172802.jpg
    20180906_172802.jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 17
I need to cull a couple of my cemani cockerels. They are from GFF. I am very new to this breed, I mainly breed Phoenix chickens. They are about 15 weeks old, the two most developed cockerels have a little bit of mulberry in their wattles. Should they be culled? The other 2 haven't developed the wattles that the bigger cockerels have, the smaller ones they do have are still very black. They have decent color, grey tongues, no pink in mouth. Keeping 2 of the 4. Any advice? @Pyxis @cjwaldon ?

View attachment 1526949 1.
View attachment 1526950 2.
View attachment 1526952 3.
View attachment 1526953 4.

4 looks like he might have color leakage, is that the case or is it just the picture? If true, cull him. Does 1 have side sprigs, or are they just two small points on the end of the comb? It's hard to assess him with him perched like that. Is his tail set actually that low, almost horizontal? I think I like 2 the best, followed by 3.

Compare them to this; this is the UK proposed standard, but the US proposed standard is going to be similar.

http://www.ayamcemani.co.uk/proposed-uk-breed-standard.html

No color leakage in his feathers. Just the little bit of mulberry in the face like 1. 1 does carry his tail pretty low, no side sprigs though. 1 and 4 are significantly bigger than 2 and 3.

Thanks for the help Pyxis!

Back
Top Bottom