Chicken Breed Focus - Colloncas

Araucana are not Colloncas. Colloncas are one of the breeds Araucanas are defended from. Colloncas are more or less a landrace "breed".

Araucanas have been intensively bred to produce a "breed" that breeds true. The breed SOP for Araucanas does not include hens that lay varied colors of eggs.

Quote: Are the Colloncas different than the rumpless Araucana in this respect? Is their temperament towards people and ability to get along with other roosters considerably better? My experience with (several lines of) the Araucana has not been positive.

My Araucana rooster was fine around me, but then I was usually the only person he was around. I didn't allow "visitors" in my coop. He was not fine with other roosters, he was NOT the least bit willing to share his ladies. I sold a lot of his sons and no one ever complained about them being human aggressive.

droolin.gif
They look so nice and they lay colored eggs, I must remember these! <3

I hate to say it folks, but I don't have a single Colloncas in my possession.

I bred them for several years and I really loved them. But a few years ago I had to scale things down considerably. I sent much stock all over the place. and must have sold 40 -50 dozen eggs over a couple of years.
I know there are hobbyists who could consider selling a few dozen eggs hear and there... you know who you are (insert smiley of teacher looking sternly over glasses).

Anyways, I figure if your one of the dozen or so that sent me a PM in the last few days then you'll get my response via this post... I regret my inability to meet your desire for hatching egg. Really, I am...

You don't have to be an experienced shipper to sell eggs. and you don't have to do it to make a buck. (well, maybe just a few.;) but not a lot. I sold rare breeds for $50 or so a dozen. But I also would send replacement eggs for free (+shipping of course) I there was a really bad hatch.

Aaanyways, Please consider it, even if it's only 6 eggs.

Araucana are not Colloncas. Colloncas are one of the breeds Araucanas are defended from. Colloncas are more or less a landrace "breed".

Araucanas have been intensively bred to produce a "breed" that breeds true. The breed SOP for Araucanas does not include hens that lay varied colors of eggs.

Right, Colloncas are not "improoved." per-se.

Back
Top Bottom