Chicken Breed Focus - Colloncas

Yashar, How kind of you to post this. Hopefully one of those folks will see it and respond and those of us wanting to further the breed will be able to breed and help others. Debra

My rooster does something weird and I'd like to know if others have seen this with their guy: he will lay in their nest and sweet talk them like he does when he finds food for them. I find it very odd!

My guess is he's a) trying to encourage them to lay eggs in that nest, b) a very good daddy and wants to help brood eggs, or c) gender confused

I'd love to hear what you think is going on
1f605.png

My rooster does something weird and I'd like to know if others have seen this with their guy: he will lay in their nest and sweet talk them like he does when he finds food for them. I find it very odd!

My guess is he's a) trying to encourage them to lay eggs in that nest, b) a very good daddy and wants to help brood eggs, or c) gender confused

I'd love to hear what you think is going on
1f605.png

that is what roos do. they teach the ladies where to lay. my araucana cockerel stays half day in the nest because there are 2 new layers who still don't know what is going on. when they start laying properly the roos back off.

Yes, my roo is Arucana and that's interesting that some of you have your rooster doing that too. I've never seen a rooster do this before, and my 3 hens that are with him have been laying for months.

*but now that I think about it, there was as an egg on the floor this morning under the roost; maybe he's "reminding" the girls where they're to lay.
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom