Chicken Breed Focus - Colloncas

The random tailed Araucanas that pop up in breeding get their tailed gene from the Quetro side of the Araucanas. (They were basically a Collonca x Quetro cross). Though rumplessness is dominant it is host to a number of modifiers, which subjects them to a random pop up of a tail or partial tail. My stock is from a breeder who culled her flock for exhibition quality for 30 years. I was so confident I'd never hatch anything with a tail...but I did. Only two partially tailed chicks out of 85, which is REALLY good odds compared to other breeders. But it just goes to show that tailed gene waaaaaayyyyy back in their line will never be bred out of the breed completely.
Thank you for the explanation. I’m fascinated with the Araucana and that has definitely extended to the Collonca as the tufts are not something I especially admire in the Araucana And would prefer tuftless and rumpless.

Thank you for the explanation. I’m fascinated with the Araucana and that has definitely extended to the Collonca as the tufts are not something I especially admire in the Araucana And would prefer tuftless and rumpless.
I should have added it was the Quetro that were tufted as well. Tailed and tufted.
Funny you should say you're not really into tufts but like the rumplessness. I thought I was the only Araucana fan that cared more about rumplessness than tufts!

I should have added it was the Quetro that were tufted as well. Tailed and tufted.
Funny you should say you're not really into tufts but like the rumplessness. I thought I was the only Araucana fan that cared more about rumplessness than tufts!

I haven’t hatched many with long double tufts. And when I purchased started chicks from a breeder she didn’t send any with the award winning tufts which was my point in buying started chicks but now I’m happy about that. Maybe I’ll try breeding backward toward the Colloncas.

Colloncas are one of the original and most ancient breeds of the Mapuche Indian culture of Chile. The Colloncas (Chilean highlands) breed descended from the Rapanui race Pakeke (Seafarer stocks) including the Moa Garahuraju (multiple coloured spots) and Moa Totara (frizzled rumpless bantam). Colloncas De Artes is the composite breed resulting by the crossing of Quetro and Colloncas stock. In North America, the Colloncas De Artes were later refined into heirloom varieties of what we call Araucana. The so-called Ameraucana appears to be in large part a refined Quechua de Artes, without tufts but carrying the brown breasted demes of the Quetro.

They produce generous numbers of colourful eggs and like many South American fowl lay well into the winter. Some hens will produce a pale sea foam hued egg, others robin blue, ash grey and even lilac. A single pair of Colloncas may produce hens that each lay a different colour.

Colloncas are best known for innate tameness. They enjoy being held but unlike Silky fowl, which also enjoy human companionship, the Colloncas is completely winter hardy and can evade predators ably. It is a fairly strong flier and one of the more quiet breeds. Colloncas are very good at tick and fly control and are traditionally kept with sheep and llamas. It is advisable that the poultier keep at least two roosters with a flock of hens, three is the ideal number as Colloncas have strong pair bonds and the roosters work in cooperation to defend and chaperone hens and chicks. As a rule, true Colloncas roosters do not fight with one another and are never aggressive with people.

All of the above pics by @Yashar

Do you own Colloncas? Are you a Colloncas breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/
Hi! I was recently gifted a pair from a family member in Chile! They are funny little things, and the hen is laying some beautiful light blue eggs.

Attachments

• 1..jpeg
    1..jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 3..jpeg
    3..jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 4..jpeg
    4..jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 5..jpeg
    5..jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Blue eggs.jpeg
    Blue eggs.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 9
Colloncas are one of the original and most ancient breeds of the Mapuche Indian culture of Chile. The Colloncas (Chilean highlands) breed descended from the Rapanui race Pakeke (Seafarer stocks) including the Moa Garahuraju (multiple coloured spots) and Moa Totara (frizzled rumpless bantam). Colloncas De Artes is the composite breed resulting by the crossing of Quetro and Colloncas stock. In North America, the Colloncas De Artes were later refined into heirloom varieties of what we call Araucana. The so-called Ameraucana appears to be in large part a refined Quechua de Artes, without tufts but carrying the brown breasted demes of the Quetro.

They produce generous numbers of colourful eggs and like many South American fowl lay well into the winter. Some hens will produce a pale sea foam hued egg, others robin blue, ash grey and even lilac. A single pair of Colloncas may produce hens that each lay a different colour.

Colloncas are best known for innate tameness. They enjoy being held but unlike Silky fowl, which also enjoy human companionship, the Colloncas is completely winter hardy and can evade predators ably. It is a fairly strong flier and one of the more quiet breeds. Colloncas are very good at tick and fly control and are traditionally kept with sheep and llamas. It is advisable that the poultier keep at least two roosters with a flock of hens, three is the ideal number as Colloncas have strong pair bonds and the roosters work in cooperation to defend and chaperone hens and chicks. As a rule, true Colloncas roosters do not fight with one another and are never aggressive with people.

All of the above pics by @Yashar

Do you own Colloncas? Are you a Colloncas breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/
Hi Yashar, My name is Jenny, I live in New Zealand where there are none of the rumpless chicken breedsat all they were never inported here and no more stock is aloud into the ciuntry. I have two great Roosters one is a beautiful Duckwing and I have managed to get a thro-back Rooster from our stock of New Zealand Araucana ( which is similar to what other countries call an Americana) that has no tail at all. So I am trying to line breed him. I am only just learning about the genetics of chickens and want to learn as much as I can to ensure I dont make too many mistakes. I have managed to get to a second generation line bred offspring, but am struggling to know where to go from here as out of 9 chicks ( 5 roos - 4 hens only two have less tail feathers). The information I am getting from the internet for line breeding does not seem to be consistent. In that some say do not line breed past grandaughter to original rooster yet others say its ok. I do not want to create faulty chickens , so would verymuch apreciate your advice. kind regards Jenny

Back
Top Bottom