Chicken Breed Focus - Lakenvelder

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Lakenvelder breed originated in the Nordrhein-Westfalen area of Germany and neighbouring areas of the Netherlands, notably the Utrecht area. Both regions follow a slightly different breed standard. They are thought to be a distant relative of the Brakel and Campine breeds, as well as some local rare breeds of the era. The breed was popular during the first half of the 1800’s but were replaced by the more productive Barnevelder breed by the end of the century.Thought to be named after the town of Lakenvelt in the Netherlands, it was first recorded in 1727 and was imported into Britain in 1901, where it was shown in Shrewsbury in 1902.

The breed was exported to the USA from Britain somewhere around 1905 and was admitted to the APA's Standard of Perfection in 1939.

Details:

Detail Value
Breed Purpose Egg Layer
Comb Single
Broodiness Seldom
Climate Tolerance All Climates
Egg Productivity Medium
Egg Size Small
Egg Color White
Breed Temperament Flighty,Bears confinement well,Shy
Breed Colors/Varieties Silver Lakenvelder; black white black; blue white blue; brown white brown are being created. Buff white buff are being created but it is not a Lakenvelder pattern genetically. Vorwerk is the Dutch breed with the black gold black pattern.
Breed Size Large Fowl

Pic by @Henk69

Pic by @Henk69

Pic by @okiehen

Pic by @okiehen

Pic by @pbjmaker

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/lakenvelder

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/296992/lakenvelders/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/479567/calling-all-lakenvelder-owners/0_30

Do you own Lakenvelders? Are you a Lakenvelder breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 1 hen. her name is lucky. the reason I bought her is her beauty. she is sweet, calm, comes when I call her, not flighty at all. if I had more room I would get more of this breed.

this pic was taken 10 months ago when I bought her.

I had two and i love them , now i have two more .
. .

Got a rooster thrown in extra with my order of cornish crosses. He is great. Very friendly. His name is Little Britches.

I decided to get a couple lakenvelder chicks early in February. They were supposed to be female but I'm not too sure about one of them. It's pretty feisty and all of a sudden just the other day it jumped its sister and bloodied her up enough I had to separate her from the flock till she healed up.
This morning my husband said he could have sworn he heard the feisty one try to crow!
I seriously can't tell by looking at them if one is a hen or roo. I'll try to post a couple pics of them later and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can shed some light on this.

Alrighty, I might have two roosters on my hands. The sweet one that was hurt it seems is the one that has been trying to crow! Here are some pics then both.
#1 is the sweetie that got hurt and the one that's been trying to crow
#2 is my feisty chicky.
In the last Pic is just the legs of #2. There are little bumps where spurs might be developing. #1 has those same leg bumps
Picture_20190408_155037617.jpg
Picture_20190408_155546177.jpg
Picture_20190408_155037617.jpg
Picture_20190408_155546177.jpg
Picture_20190408_155654763.jpg
Picture_20190408_155807484.jpg
Picture_20190408_155455362.jpg
Picture_20190408_155318673.jpg

They are both approx 9-10 weeks old.
Your the second to say that #2 was the rooster, but #1 is the one that has been caught trying to crow.
They both have those newly forming little bumps on the inside back of their legs.

Well, just to update...I have two roosters! I've caught both of them crowing at each other on several occasions.
And Willospirit, I wished you were closer too! One roo is fine but two is too much. Especially since I now have no LV hens! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom