Chicken Breed Focus - Norfolk grey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Norfolk Grey originated from Norfolk, England, around 1910. They are believed to have been developed from Silver Birchen Games and Duckwing Leghorns, by a breeder named Frederick W Myhill of Hethel, Wymondham under the name "Black Maria". The breed was first exhibited under the name Black Maria at the Dairy Show in 1920. But in 1925, Myhill applied to the Poultry Club of Great Britain, to have the name changed to "Norfolk Grey" as the breed did not gain popularity under the name Black Maria. The breed lost popularity and was thought be extinct, until in 1974 four Norfolk Greys were found in a privately owned flock and the breed was recovered, though is still very rare today.

Details:

Origin: England
Purpose: Dual
Egg Laying: 150-220 eggs per year
Egg colour: Tinted (Light brown)

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/norfolk-grey

BYC Breed Discussion:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/127834/norfolk-grey/0_30

Do you own Norfolk Greys? Are you a Norfolk Grey breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you own Norfolk Greys? Are you a Norfolk Grey breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!
Update now that the girls are all grown up: this is Eve
Eve.jpg

she laid 139 eggs in 2019, between going broody 3 times; I broke her once and let her hatch small clutches twice, so she also raised 5 chicks for me within the flock. She was a good broody, if verging on the overly-ferocious defender of her chicks. Her sibling Lily didn't go broody at all and laid 165 eggs through the year; I induced her to stop laying when she had a prolapse in November. The prolapse healed by itself and she went into molt. She hasn't resumed laying yet but is nearly fully feathered again. Both laid light brown eggs in the 57-63 g range (medium/large borderline here).
I chose this very rare breed to support the breeder trying to conserve them; I keep them for eggs and the entertainment that all chickens provide; and their best characteristic in my view is their foraging abilities (they are great hunters).

thanks Debby; they move a bit too quickly for my camera to do them justice, which is a shame because they do look fabulous with their nice new feathers. Eve's mum was a show winner, and she's inherited elegance as well as looks.

With my picture taking abilities, a sitting bird moves too quickly :lol:

Very cool that the mum was a show winner!

Back
Top Bottom