Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics

Hi also in SA bit late joining site but great to see some South African chit chat. Do we have any shows up here? in Jo'burg I have bantams with fluffy feet and two babies

and also a mongoose BartI feed him all the shop bought eggs he can handle so doesn;t bother the girls - more interested in the fruit I put out put picture in wrong place sorry

hey whoop whoop, nice animal pics, cute mongoose. and I love your black hen, she is so shiny! Really pretty! What breed are those black dogs? I thought the one in the forest was a statue first of a bear ! haha ! are they livestock guarding dogs?

Hi 'they are Black Russian Terriers and the most loving and cuddly dogs ever - you just have to mind the smooze when they drink. They were originally used by the Russian Army in Afganhistan as war dogs, mine are so not war dogs.

However they are very protective and when the electrician came to fix my board as it shorted because of power cuts, Zenky went for the poor guys' 'privates' it was really embarrassing he didn't actually bite him but rather just had 'everything' in his mouth and believe me its a bone crunching mouth!!! Anyway I managed to call him off but was a sticky situation at the time. Needless to say I need to look for a new electrician.

they are so beautiful, I didnt even know the breed. are there breeders in SA? How are they with the chooks?

Yes there are two breeders one in the Cape and one in Roodepoort - all come from the original Breeder in Pretoria - so be careful of interbreeding. To buy one direct from Russia is about 30,000 euros!!!!! and you have to go there to collect
sickbyc.gif

Initially they just wanted to eat the chooks, but after they had smelt them and sussed out they were not a threat to anyone they are absolutely fine. In fact this morning one of my little chicks 'escaped' under the fence and Xara was barking to get my attention to tell me it was loose. She just stood by whilst we 'herded' it back into its yard. They are really great dogs and superb guard dogs.. Have a great Africa Day
ya.gif

Hi guys.

I'm another chicken fanatic from South Africa. I don't breed (I live in surburbia and I'm not too sure the lawyer next door would take to kindly to a rooster) but I have a flock of seven mixed breed ladies. I'm from JHB.

@LadyBroody I have a Brahma. I got her from a lady who lives in Farmall JHB. She has many different breeds - some of them firsts to SA! But I don't imagine that helps you as I see you are from Durban. But let me know if you want her contact details (If she isn't already on this forum somewhere...)
We often go up to Joburg, so it would be great if you could send me her contact details. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom