Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
First off will be me finishing off the coop for my 8yo son so he can have his bantam frizzle rooster in with the bantam hens. He wants to start selling fertile eggs and chicks.

Second to do is to hatch some Marans and OE eggs I'll be picking up in a week or two. roosters are Cuckoo Marans from dark eggs, hens are Cuckoo marans, a silver crele Marans and an OE. All chicks from Cuckoo to Cuckoo will go on to make more Marans and the rest will go into my OE project. These are his hens eggs, I'm super excited to get mine
View attachment 1991068

Other than that I haven't really given next year much of a thought. I know I'll be continuing on my OE and EE journey as I'm still only at the start of that, plus my ducks will be old enough to lay. maybe I'll go through my hens and work out a good rooster for them. Now if I can make more of these girls I'll be happy but I have no idea where to start on that lol
View attachment 1991069 View attachment 1991070
What breed is the hen in your second photo?

My primary project is a barnyard breed/colour mix (for my own personal tastes) ..

A sebright / pekin cross.
And hopefully a citrone bird (at this stage I don't care which breed/type so am combining this into my sebright/pekin cross project)

The pekins have such a lovely nature but are a bit too broody for my preferences. The sebrights have always been my favourite, they're like modern day pterodactyls, owning their enclosure with attitude 10 times their actual size - but they're not a common breed here and finding good examples for purchase is tricky.

My current roo is my second gen product from this project. He has a decidedly sebright stature but a lovely calm and friendly temperament. This season I'm hatching all eggs produced by him and my silver sebright hen.
View attachment 1992403

The citrone aspect to this project is currently floundering - this rooster "may" contain the gene I am testing for but with my current stock it will be a very tall order to confirm. Sadly, due to some rather persistent predators, I've lost several birds that would have made this project a little more robust, so I'll wait to see how this seasons chicks turn out and make some new breeding stock purchases as appropriate ready for next season.

My second project would be more accurately described as a planned experiment. I'm aiming for a second barnyard breed/colour mix (for my own personal tastes) ..

I've got Lavender Araucana eggs in the incubator - due to hatch in two days. I would like to cross these next season with my sebright line. I'm not sure how this project will go - I expect mixing two breeds of significant size difference will have it's challenges - but since my current rooster breeds with a full sized hen now - I'm assuming he will be up to the challenge again next season LOL.
View attachment 1992436
Wow! Love the Pekin-Sebright! Pterodactyls is a great descriptor! I call my Sebrights “vultures.” My three Sebright girls so far are not bullies but their brothers had to find a new home at a very early age!!! They were nice with me but real jerks to everyone else!! Lots of attitude. Perkins sound like a great way to smooth out the rough sebright edges!

Here are some new one they are adorable!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom