Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes the genetics swing back hard towards the Legbar, like in this little girl. She has a flat comb and not a single comb. Hoping for blue eggs!

tlhyp1.jpg

Well, I am hoping to get Buff Brahma pullets and a cockerel and try crossing with my BJGs and see what results and refine for size from there. Also, do have a question...View attachment 1990012 This is Lola, my BLR Wyandotte hen who has less than ideal lacing, body size and color. I love her self blue though, it is a very pretty almost lavendar color and really looks elegant in person. So I plan on having her make kiddos with my BLR cockerel Gunner.View attachment 1990014 View attachment 1990016 He is a big boy with beautiful lacing and sweet tints of orange in his saddles/hackles and very well developed lacing. My question is will their young have the lighter blue of Lola with the more developed lacing of Gunner?? Or will Gunner's lacing be diluted?? I understand refinement will be needed, but curious on if it is a worthwhile endeavor with them? It will be my first time breeding project ever, so I am all ears on help!
The diluters within your female will probably produce light blue/almost lavender laced offspring if bred to your blue laced red. The breeding may even out light blues, & dark blues making a nice blue color. Splash laced may also be a result, or a black.

There's some Legbar, Twentse and Marans in those two boys.

This is grandpa bird, the Twentse. I couldn't get them to hatch pure so I started hybridizing from the rooster and then sold them on as lawn ornaments. Now that I'm coming into the 3rd generation and putting Hybrid to Hybrid I'm seeing some boys coming through without the barring and closer to that Twentse color, hoping for a keeper out of it.

View attachment 1990128
I've never heard of that breed, he's so pretty.
Love how you were experimenting with that crossing, & attempting to get them to breed true.

Sometimes the genetics swing back hard towards the Legbar, like in this little girl. She has a flat comb and not a single comb. Hoping for blue eggs!

View attachment 1990133
My crele Orpington project produced a Incomplete Buff Columbian.
1212191450.jpg
I'm only at generation 1, & this boy is gonna be culled.

Planning on getting some eggs from a breeder. Light brown Dutch bantams. Want to breed them for showing. Any advice for a new breeder?

Hatch as many eggs as you can get. Get a copy of the standard and learn what to look for with them. Don't make culling decisions too soon, they won't have adult feathers until a year old. Find your best from both genders. Figure out what could be better. Then look for the birds who have that "thing" better, that the best one is lacking in. The best rooster for looks might not be the best breeding fit for the best hen to make better looks. If that makes sense.

Hatch as many eggs as you can get. Get a copy of the standard and learn what to look for with them. Don't make culling decisions too soon, they won't have adult feathers until a year old. Find your best from both genders. Figure out what could be better. Then look for the birds who have that "thing" better, that the best one is lacking in. The best rooster for looks might not be the best breeding fit for the best hen to make better looks. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the advice! I've got a standard and am excited to compare! (Note: I havent even hatched the chicks yet. Lol.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom