Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone has time I’m curious as to what a Jubilee Rooster (Orpington) and a buff Orpington hen would throw..? Just simple terminology please will do :lau
Jubilee orps are basically mottled red columbian (red columbian is the color RIRs are). Since mottling is recessive, you'd get chicks that have a coloring between buff and red, probably with a few black spots.

If anyone has time I’m curious as to what a Jubilee Rooster (Orpington) and a buff Orpington hen would throw..? Just simple terminology please will do :lau
I've done the cross with different breed but same color/patterns.
Agree with above they came out closer to the buff color but in between buff and red. They did get black tail feathers but not as many as the jubilee would have and a couple black feathers in the wings. None in the hackles.
The buff has two dilute genes so with the offspring only receiving one they don't get diluted as much as a buff.
Also with one dose but not two is the reason they show the black tail etc but not as much as with the pure columbian pattern.

I've done the cross with different breed but same color/patterns.
Agree with above they came out closer to the buff color but in between buff and red. They did get black tail feathers but not as many as the jubilee would have and a couple black feathers in the wings. None in the hackles.
The buff has two dilute genes so with the offspring only receiving one they don't get diluted as much as a buff.
Also with one dose but not two is the reason they show the black tail etc but not as much as with the pure columbian pattern.
Thank you, thank you :bow

I find Wheaten to be the best to use when making crele since it's a dominate gene, & requires 1 copy to show.

When breeding crele using e+/e+ (Wildtype), or e^b/e^b(Partridge/Brown) it requires to be bred to the 3rd - 4th generations before any crele pattern is revealed. First generation is black, looking like regular barred rocks, 2nd generation has very little color show, or needs major improvement/Further breeding.

This is just my opinion.

Last edited:
He told the person to take My advice to be worth as much as a grain of salt.
You mean when you told someone that two mottled splash birds bred together would produce mottled splash, black mottled, blue mottled and some split to mottled offspring?
Ya I'll say it again. Take that kind of advice with a grain of salt. And thats not being mean.
I find Wheaten to be the best to use when making crele since it's a dominate gene, & requires 1 copy to show.
If its dominate and takes only one copy to show then as you say all these orpingtons are carrying wheaten genes. Then if they were wouldn't they be showing wheaten instead of the other colors/patterns?

Oh and I've done crele by crossing barred extended blacks with duckwing (wild type). You can get correct true breeding crele after the second crossing.

You mean when you told someone that two mottled splash birds bred together would produce mottled splash, black mottled, blue mottled and some split to mottled offspring?
Ya I'll say it again. Take that kind of advice with a grain of salt. And thats not being mean.

If its dominate and takes only one copy to show then as you say all these orpingtons are carrying wheaten genes. Then if they were wouldn't they be showing wheaten instead of the other colors/patterns?
That is mean. It's another way to call someone stupid. I'm still learning the whole splash thing, so give me credit for trying.

http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html
This explains alot. Still reading on genetics, one place I haven't finished reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom