Chicken Drama- please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Meganita513, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    I only had time to glance at it. I couldn't see what exactly they studied. There are lots of FDA approved drugs that turn out to be harmful. Anyone doing a study can choose how to do it, and they may not do it right. Even among homeopaths, there is disagreement on the "right" was to prescribe and to dose. Some people use the little pellets straight, some insist the pellet has to be dissolved in water. Some just don't know how to recognize symptoms and then can't possibly select the right remedy. I took one dog to 2 vets. They both had very good reputations in the holistic community, one was even nationally known. They each prescribed a different remedy for the dog and neither was helpful. It wasn't until a few years after that, when I really started to learn about homeopathy, that I realized those vets didn't really understand homeopathy and that was why they couldn't use it correctly. When I occasionally need to take one of my kids (11, 14, 16) to the doctor, the doctors are surprised to find out that the kids have never had antibiotics, ibuprofen, Tylenol, cough medicine, allergy medicine, etc. Several years ago, the doctor said 2 of them had ear infections and they needed antibiotics. I took them home, gave them a remedy, and about an hour later they were better. People can be affected by placebos (which all medicine can fall in that category), but animals can't. No study can convince me that what I have lived for the past 10+ years wasn't real.

BirdsBeesTrees and cottagecheese like this.
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    My Coop
    Everyone has different opinions, let's leave it at that. We don't need to get another thread shut down.

3. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Animals are in fact affected by the placebo effect.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19912522

Sure, a single study may have flaws, but systematic reviews incorporate data from many different, independent studies, and they provide a very high level of evidence, which far outstrips the purely anecdotal evidence that homeopathy is based off of. Homeopathy lacks scientific underpinnings, and attacking science-based medicine doesn't mitigate that.

Willowspirit likes this.
  4. cottagecheese

cottagecheese Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    @CarpCharacin, even someone like me, who is relatively new to homeopathy, has actually heard of that study - it's famous LOL, meaning a famous scandal. It has everything - conflicts of interest, procedural and research flaws, reporting inaccuracies. Look what my friend duckduckgo found out for me:

NHMRC did the review twice - the first review was never made public (obviously it must've been favorable to homeopathy)
    NHMRC misled the public - they said the findings of the 2015 report were based on a "rigorous assessment of over 1800 studies". In fact the findings were based on only 176 papers. (They must have picked and chosen only what fit their bias) https://nexusnewsfeed.com/article/h...premiere-exposes-australian-research-scandal/ Excellent trailer here, please watch.

Some unbiased studies https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3833578/ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1298309/ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20175887
    Could the skeptics have a look here https://www.homeopathycenter.org/quotable-homeopathic-research That's Christmas in July for homeopathy.

@Willowspirit, you mean you took the dog to a homeopathic vet? If she got worse, why did you continue the treatment for three weeks? Nothing should be given for more than a few days if there is no response. No professional homeopath could have been involved here. Did you medicate yourself? How long did you study? What potencies did you use? Please give particulars, your account sounds very unusual.

@Kayla's Lunch thanks for confirming that the future is bright - you've got ten years on me. I'm a fresh convert, and like all new converts - quite the zealot!

@Cyprus, a whole system of medicine has been slandered, a response must be given, and remember, this is all so that young people know that they have options. Why would the thread be shut down? It is a very civilized discussion.

5. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    :goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

6. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    You're one of the good ones. Stay strong girl.

cottagecheese and Kayla's Lunch like this.
  7. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    Well said. Except that scientific findings have to be interpreted by humans, all of whom have their own biases. Statistics classes are fascinating for that very reason: each scientific report carries it's own conclusion and conclusions are affected by the people providing that conclusion. Therefore, one can use statistical analysis all day long to support their own biases.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Or one can use purely anecdotal 'analysis'.
    The placebo effects of belief systems cannot be underestimated.

9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I wanted to chime in about two things real quick...
    DE won't rid lice/mites and will not do a thing for worms.

Also..the feather fixer feed.
    What brand do you buy?

10. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    So if I'm dying of a gunshot wound, you would concoct me some sort of secret herbal tea made from a rare plant only found deep inside the Amazonian jungles instead of taking me to the ER because you don't believe in all that medical studies mumbo jumbo that doctors spent years and years studying from which others from the past have as well through trial and error? But instead rely on some imaginative make-believe healing in which scientific studies have proven to be nothing more than some sort of placebo effect, sprinkled with some magical wishful thinking pixie dust? OK, I know who not to call if I'm ever bitten by a snake.

Cyprus and CarpCharacin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: