Chicken Entrance.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brwneggs, Jul 2, 2010.

1. brwneggs

brwneggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    For the chickens to enter their coop, do they have to have a gang plank down to the ground? Or can it be up a few inches and they hop up?
    What is best for Isa Browns, or any chicken?
    Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    if its only a few inches from the ground they ca, and will, just jump, if its higher you can give them a ramp but they may or may not use it. Bantams often prefer to fly up, as do some standards. but its good to give them to option.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They don't need the ramp if the entrance isn't very high off the ground. I just think it's adorable to watch the procession up the ramp into the coop at dusk.

4. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you for your reply. I may put it a few inches up so I can move the chicken tractor easier.

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My chicken door is hinged at the bottom and forms the ramp when open (See pics on my BYC page). I learned to put a couple bolts at the top of the door/bottom of the ramp to set on a block when open to prevent wood rot. (it's the second door made, first was a learning experience)

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My pop door is about one foot off the ground and about 12" square. They have no problems hopping up. I normally let them into the run at about 7 weeks old, so I know chickens this old and older have no problems with this arrangement.

7. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I like that idea. I have a chicken mobile. I may have to do that. Others sent me some excellent ways to put the door up. Thnak you
    Quote:

8. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:
    Just be sure to tack a strip of inner-tube rubber over the hinge area-----it prevents chicken poo from caking up and jamming the hinge action. It flexes each time the door shuts and "pops off the poo" (How often do you get to use the phrase "pops off the poo" in a sentence)

9. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Also if you do the ramp that swings down and also closes the coop up at night you should really think about painting or otherwise weatherproofing the ramp. I have one of these and when it's been raining all day the wood swells and getting the coop shut at night is a pain.
    I'm planning on putting polyurethane on mine this weekend.

10. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Agree with superchemicalgirl, I painted mine and it's trimmed undersized enough to seat when closed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by