Chicken feed for mixed flock

Kris5902

Enabler
5 Years
Oct 12, 2018
Ok, I’m wanting to feed a mixed flock of layers/breeding Roosters, and don’t want to feed a layer pellet because of the calcium levels in it. I’m trying to get them onto pellets, because they are tossing the dry crumbles out and I want to minimize coccidiosis risks and stop the huge amounts of wasted feed. Problem is I can’t find the crumbles in a pellet.

Here is what I can get for feed... the Broiler Pellets are what I’m looking at for free choice dry feed 24/7 but I’m a bit worried about the high protein and fat content? I will still provide mash from the grower crumbles, which I’m going to hopefully ferment once I get my set-up more stable or it stops being so cold outside!

The broiler pellets would be a special order item, my feed store doesn’t normally carry them... I will offer oystershell free choice on the side once they get to laying age.

D4AA4E83-4B2B-4585-938B-D3855F2F3129.jpeg
E4D61481-022D-4163-9BE9-AABB39F9E9FF.jpeg
And it helps if I put the pics in the post?

I wish I could get Feed pellets that weren't Layer feed. $2 extra a bag... I guess you need to calculate how much is wasted vs the extra $2. I recently moved to non laying feed and free choice oyster shell myself. Supposedly the rooster is better off this way.

But what affects will the min 19% protein and 5.5% fat over the min 17% and 3% in a layer feed have overtime? The phosphorus is a bit higher as well?

If they will be free ranging I would not worry about minor differences in the feed analysis as much of their nutrition will be coming from the pasture. My voice is the voice of a novice though and likely an expert will arrive and weigh in on specific feed issues shortly.

I was in a rush at the big Vancouver warehouse feed store that supplies my local one... and kind of put on the spot, so I didn’t look too closely over their poultry feeds, but I’m pretty sure the only “finisher” or “grower” pellet i saw was this broiler one... Its a bit of an intimidating warehouse compared to my local family run feed store, and the only decent list of feeds is right at the counter.

Back
Top Bottom