Chicken got attacked by raccoon, has a hole under her wing

@Backyardchicken1, I said in post 6 to use the saline twice each day. Or substitute the Vetericyn. Let it dry a bit, then use the Neosporin twice a day. But to soften the scab first, you can make a warm wet washcloth into a compress, and hold it onto the scab for about 10 minutes while you hold her on your lap on a towel. If you consistently treat the wound twice a day, it will eventually heal.

Thank you for the detailed reply! How do I keep the compress on her ? Do I use certain type of medical tape or sth else? How long does it usually take to keep that compress on her to soften the scab then I put the Neosporin or coconut oil afterwards?
You hold it against the wound for ten to twenty minutes, then slather it with plain antibiotic ointment or coconut oil, repeat twice a day. Coconut oil is cheaper if you have it. I've also use beeswax balm.

Thank you all for the detailed instructions. However, my hen suddenly couldn’t walk anymore. Her other foot which is on the side free of injury now looks worse than the other side where she has that wound sticking out. She doesn’t eat or drink much and not talking much as well. She is just laying down. What can be done to make her better ?

Attachments

• IMG_2503.jpeg
    IMG_2503.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 8
The only way to determine if this is a vitamin B deficiency is to treat her for three or four weeks with B-complex. You need vitamin B 2, 6, and 12, so a B-complex is the best way to handle it. A tablet a day directly into the beak.

If she continues to deteriorate in spite of the B-complex, then you should suspect you're dealing with an avian virus.

But this could be from infection. What does the original injury look like now? If it's an open oozing swollen wound, then she may need an antibiotic.

The only way to determine if this is a vitamin B deficiency is to treat her for three or four weeks with B-complex. You need vitamin B 2, 6, and 12, so a B-complex is the best way to handle it. A tablet a day directly into the beak.

If she continues to deteriorate in spite of the B-complex, then you should suspect you're dealing with an avian virus.

But this could be from infection. What does the original injury look like now? If it's an open oozing swollen wound, then she may need an antibiotic.
I’m not sure where to get the antibiotics. The only aqua mox available online says it’s for cat and dog. Would that be ok to use for chicken ? It seems like people are using the fish version of aqua mox, but I can’t find it anywhere for sale. I’m unfamiliar with chicken medicines. How do I get the right version?
I don’t have a photo of the original injury since we found out 2 days later and I didn’t discover this forum yet back then. You can go back to the very first post to see how it looked like before it became a hard lump. But that was after maybe a week or two of her original injury date. She was doing very well last week. She was using both of her feet digging and eating, drinking, acting normal. But two days ago it suddenly went downhill. I just checked on her, she can’t use her left foot and leg at all. If she stands for a little bit , she has to use her wings to support herself. But that’s only a few seconds then she has to lay down. Im not sure what’s the cause of she can’t use her left side since her injury is on her right side. What would be your suggestion? where do I get the antibiotics or vitamins for chicken if that’s what she needs?

Last edited:
I put her under the sun. This is what her wound look like now

Attachments

• IMG_2506.jpeg
    IMG_2506.jpeg
    955.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2505.jpeg
    IMG_2505.jpeg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2508.jpeg
    IMG_2508.jpeg
    802.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2507.jpeg
    IMG_2507.jpeg
    971.6 KB · Views: 6
It is almost impossible to find amoxicillin capsules right now, but here is a link for the 500 mg.

https://www.medi-vet.com/Fish-Mox-Forte-Amoxicillin-500mg-p/14042.htm

Dosage is 57 mg per pound of weight, so get a weight on her and round off the dosage. For instance most birds get 250 mg twice a day for 7 days. Those capsules contain 2 doses, so break a capsule and mix it into some peanut butter or cream cheese, something that she will eat.

Back
Top Bottom