Chicken has hurt leg

Larley123

Hatching
Jul 23, 2021
Hi all, im looking fo some help our chicken has hurt her leg. She isnt really moving just laying down alot she sge didnt even move when another chicken stepped on her. She got up to eat kind of used her wing to help her get to the food then sat down without even eatting anything. They are in a run the top is covered as we have eagles and owls in the moutines next to us. I think she may have jumped and hurt it. We had one last month hurt its leg and the othe chickens pecked it and killed it. I have separated her from the others but wondered what i can do to help it heal

Attachments

• 20211211_132726.jpg
    20211211_132726.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211211_132759.jpg
    20211211_132759.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 1
How old is she? Has she been molting or suffering feather loss on her wings? Could she have been injured by a roosting or jumping down? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?

There are definitely other possibilities you want to check for. 100%. But I’ve had a couple injured from jumping off the roof the wrong way. I made them my homemade chicken splint (consist of small rubber hose piece and medical tape ) and they were fine in a couple days. But you always definitely want to check for a worse underlying cause that way you can be eliminated before it gets worse or at least knowing what you’re dealing with. But could be something simple as that.
Answering the questions above could help find the problem which is the best way to find a solution

And yes anytime I have a chicken that is it as strong as the others or has an injury I do try to separate or remove them . Chickens seem very friendly towards each other but in the end they can be pretty damn brutal ( but that’s natural) I also have run into an instance where my ex-husband decided it was time for injured chicken to go back into the coop and I think her demise was the other chickens since she was still weak.

Back
Top Bottom