chicken has loose bowel, lethargic, no energy. flock pecking her.

jilroberts

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2016
Blairstown NJ
Plum is a rhode island red. medium size. I don't know her age. she does not molt and lays no eggs. came with the other chickens and only one is laying now.
very dirty back end from what looks like diarrea, loose bowels. her eyes look good. we found her on the floor of coupe a few days and put her on the roost. yesterday we found her outside not able to go up the ramp to the coop. cold feet, but does not look like frost bite. she steps around carefully and flicked her feet, so i though maybe frozen.... and would not jump off the laying box when we placed her to test it. i did change the food awhile back, but rest of flock looks good.

I gave her diatamaceaous earth for parasites and some probiotic enzyme formula and fed her protein and kept her warm. we tried to turn her out with the flock and she walks slow, they peck her.

Last edited:
They are attacking her because they know that she’s sick and vulnerable.

She needs to be brought into a warm environment, away from the flock, cleaned up and evaluated, if you can.

I’m sorry to tell you that DE does not kill parasites.
Have you seen evidence of parasites?

Your chicken is sick and the flock knows it. That's why they're picking on her. First, you need to place her somewhere that is safe and also convenient to observe her.

Unfortunately, her symptoms could indicate any number of issues. You will need to spend the next 24 hours examining her and observing. Begin at the top and move down to the bottom, examining inside her mouth, ears, her crop condition, and all over her skin down to her feet, including the pads. Compare to the other chickens for anything that seems "off".

A good description or photo of her poop will help. Observe today if she is eating normally, and first thing tomorrow, before she eats or drinks, examine her crop for fullness. It should have emptied overnight.

The DE will serve no purpose in controlling parasites. If you discover crawlies on her skin around her vent, permethrin poultry dusting powder is what you need to treat her.

They are attacking her because they know that she’s sick and vulnerable.

She needs to be brought into a warm environment, away from the flock, cleaned up and evaluated, if you can.

I’m sorry to tell you that DE does not kill parasites.
Have you seen evidence of parasites?

A photo of her back end after you have cleaned her up would be helpful. Chickens can be soaked in a trug or tote of warm water to clean them up. Epsom salts can be beneficial if you have them. You want the water to be deep enough for it to reach the underside of her vent when she is standing but not so deep that it is over her back. You may want to gently insert a gloved finger an inch or two into her vent whilst she is soaking to check for any blockage.... she may poop as a result of this which can be a bit gross but will be beneficial for her. She will need to be dried thoroughly afterwards with a towel and then hair drier.
Birds with soiled butts often have abdominal swelling which can be caused by a number of ailments, the commonest being reproductive issues. If she was not laying eggs last spring/summer then that would also suggest it is a reproductive problem. Feeling between the legs and below the vent with a cupped hand will confirm if there is swelling. It is helpful to compare with other hens by also feeling them. Doing so whilst they are roosting at night is the easiest time to do this.

It would be helpful to know what you feed them.

Once we have more info and some photos of her general stance and of her back end we might be in a better position to advise.

we have her in the house last night and today. cleaned her up and she eats and goes to the bathroom. what can kill parasites? she was always the hungry one and seemed least healthy than the others.

Permethrin 10 spray is good if not freezing weather, and permethrin garden dust is good for winter weather. Use at least twice 10 days apart for lice, or 7 days for mites. If using the liquid cincentrate, mix 58 ml per gallon, or 14 ml per quart in a spray bottle.

upload_2019-1-27_13-20-19.jpeg
upload_2019-1-27_13-21-44.jpeg

this is her droppings today. started to get light, but may be from eating oats with quinoa.

Attachments

• plum droppings.jpg
    plum droppings.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 10
  • plum head.jpg
    plum head.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 10
  • plum body.jpg
    plum body.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Oats are not that good for chickens. But you can add water to layer pellets or chicken crumbles and make a mash easily, and that is more healthy for her. Is she drinking well? I suspect that she could have a reproductive disorder or a crop problem, both of which are very common in older hens, and may be related. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she is fed, and tell us if it is empty, full, firm or puffy. Feel of her lower belly down between her legs to see if it enlarged or tight. Does she walk okay, or have any waddling or stand more upright? Is her tail down or up?

Back
Top Bottom