Chicken math, subtraction

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I culled 3 pullets today. Two were PITA mean girls and the other a crossbeak that was loosing weight. I am down to 12 with 2 more cockerels training for freezer camp.
Culling the crossbeak was tough bc she was sweet but was more than half the weight of her sibling, and a bird that is loosing weigh despite moistened food put separate from the flock will soon show signs of stress.
The mean girls, no shed tears. They were jerks and stressed the whole flock.
Buckbeak, however, caused me and DH some misty eyes, but the deed was done.
Chicken math subtraction when it is not in the original plan of flock management can be tough. RIP Buckbeak.
A80328CA-26C5-45DA-B7AF-D7A585B2734D.jpeg

Kudo's for handling the cross beak correctly. They just out grow their ability to eat enough and slowly starve to death. I did not cull my first one soon enough, seemed like she was doing fine until she wasn't. Those feathers hide a lot of sins. I would never keep another one.

Subtraction is just as important to addition, always solve for peace in the flock. Once you do, you wonder why you waited. A happy flock is a pleasure to be with, a bully is not. Some birds just do not work out in the set up.

Mrs K

Jesus, math makes me crazy, especially about chickens. Hated it in school. The only thing that made me happy even a little bit was linear algebra, but even that was hard. I'm just glad it's all over now and I don't have anything to do with math anymore, except in the question of... Chickens.

Back
Top Bottom