chicken problems, explain what problems you have faced with your chicken babies!

Chickengirl55

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2017
D.gif
Here you can talk about anything that has been a problem while you have had your birds. Big or small problems are always welcome.

Hi there,
My fiancé and I have just started keeping chickens for the first time. We are loving our three cream legbars but this morning we have noticed that our biggest hen has quite scaley/flakey feet compared to the other two. I've had a look around the net and I'm wondering if it's leg mites. I have attached a photo below and would appreciate any input from someone in the know! :)

Avi

Hi there,
My fiancé and I have just started keeping chickens for the first time. We are loving our three cream legbars but this morning we have noticed that our biggest hen has quite scaley/flakey feet compared to the other two. I've had a look around the net and I'm wondering if it's leg mites. I have attached a photo below and would appreciate any input from someone in the know!
smile.png

Avi

Hi and welcome to BYC. It looks like it could be scaly leg mites - particularly her left leg, but its not too easy to see. Here's a link of a search I just did - https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=scales+leg+mites

If the threads there don't help, then I'd suggest posting on the ER forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I was just checking up to see how your chicken is. If it's still going on is it possible for you get a closer picture? Hope she's ok!

Hi! So we went to the shop and bought some Net-tex spray. We sprayed all our hens legs about 5 days ago. We're doing a reapplication tomorrow - here is a photo of the legs right now:

Last edited:
I have never had a chicken with that condition but from the research I've done that does look like scaly leg mites. I can't say for sure without a vet telling you but I suggest following the treatment you have been using. Hope she gets better!

Thank you for your concern :)
Here's an update: the legs starting to look better now; less swollen around the toes and generally less crumbly. We're gonna keep up with the net-tex every 5 days for a few more weeks. Although now we've noticed she's burying her head under her wing quite often, even in the morning after they've just slept all night. I wonder if she's still just feeling a bit bummed because of the legs or maybe she's not getting a lot of sleep. She's the biggest bird of our three and I think is therefore 'the boss' for that reason. Still eating, laying and pooping fine so I don't think I should be too worried. Maybe she's just lazy hehe

Welcome to BYC @blank28.
Can you provide a link to the net-tex product you are using?

Scaly leg mite is one of the easiest pests to get rid of....tho it can take a long time for the legs to regrow new healthy scales.
The mites may be dead and gone, but regrowth of scales can take weeks.
Your birds behavior might be another issue.

You can use a pesticide(like permethrin liquid) or oil or ointment to suffocate the mites.
Petroleum jelly can be stuffed under the raised scales where it will stay put.
Oil or spray might be harder to apply and need more repetitions.
They are all rather messy...tho I've found spraying with permethrin to be pretty easy at night on the roosts.

Back
Top Bottom