Chicken swallowed something and it’s stuck in crop. Impacted crop.

Chickenoreo

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2023
Last Monday my chicken wasn’t acting herself and her crop felt big and squishy so I assumed it was sour crop. It did go down on the 4th day but now I can feel like she ate something that won’t go down, I feel smalls bits of rocks also that she pooped a little out yesterday. But the thing that I’m really worried about is that she has something that feels pretty big i can’t figure what it is but it almost feels like those small toy Lego heads just a tad bit smaller. I really hope she can poop it out but I worry she won’t because of the size.

How attached to this hen are you? Enough to take her to a vet for crop surgery or to try crop surgery on her yourself? If it's as large as a Lego and has square edges instead of round, it's unlikely this will pass out of the crop and through the gizzard. She will die as a result, not right away, but slowly until she starves or the object perforates soft tissue.

How attached to this hen are you? Enough to take her to a vet for crop surgery or to try crop surgery on her yourself? If it's as large as a Lego and has square edges instead of round, it's unlikely this will pass out of the crop and through the gizzard. She will die as a result, not right away, but slowly until she starves or the object perforates soft tissue.
@Chickenoreo

I know someone who performed crop surgery successfully a couple yrs ago on their hen (hen is still alive and doing well). They did the surgery themselves.

If you feel confident it’s a foreign object as you stated then I would either euthanize the poor animal or do the surgery (veterinary or yourself). I wouldn’t let the poor thing suffer.

Back
Top Bottom