Chicken trees

JSB

Hatching
Dec 10, 2017
Hi My name is Jeannie I have about 20 chickens. I am going to make my chicken yard bigger, I would like to put fake trees in it. Does anyone know if this is ok, I wanted greenery in there pens. Any suggestions would be great fun. Thank you.

What kind of fake trees, like fake Christmas trees? I wouldn't do it as the chickens might take to eating the materials (they'll eat crazy things like styrofoam, concrete, etc.)

What do you currently have in the run? Think about what chickens would enjoy, not necessarily what looks pretty to a human. They like having things to hop up on (roosts, stumps) and things to dig in (like leaf litter, loose dirt).

11-4-17-grass-box.jpg
JT

Welcome to BYC! There are bushy weeds they don't eat, I have many that came up in my run...lambsquarter, pigweed, even a volunteer basil plant. Actually a few elm seedlings came up as well...there are many real plants that work. You could transplant and protect them, if you wanted.
aa run.jpg

I tend to agree with the "plant some real ones" thoughts. Using chicken wire, you can protect them until they are big enough for the birds to leave alone. Chickens will eat artificial things, especially if they can pick at them. :)

Mine picked at all the insulation they could reach in their camper-turn-coop. Of course, I didn't realize this until after it was done. Naughty chickens.

Back
Top Bottom