Chicken vent red and swollen, and yellowish inside. Stinks!

Here are the pictures I took today, after I rinsed it once with hydrogen peroxide. I hadn’t removed any tissue yet. It seemed to “grow” back on the inside and the outside since I picked a lot of it out on Friday. I’m not sure if it’s just a dried excretion or actual skin on the outside, but on the inside it definitely looks like some kind of tissue. Daily or twice daily flushing with hydrogen peroxide after removing some of the tissue stuff helps greatly with the smell. She seems rather lively.

Attachments

• 746320AE-F4EE-491A-A916-9678B75679ED.jpeg
    746320AE-F4EE-491A-A916-9678B75679ED.jpeg
    698.3 KB · Views: 10
  • C64173BF-30A3-4E6A-85A8-7EFAF36877DF.jpeg
    C64173BF-30A3-4E6A-85A8-7EFAF36877DF.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 5FE24808-9F1C-482D-B2EF-18C3A5C2073D.jpeg
    5FE24808-9F1C-482D-B2EF-18C3A5C2073D.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 4EBD62C9-95C1-4654-A92D-6C10D73FA38A.png
    4EBD62C9-95C1-4654-A92D-6C10D73FA38A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 8980056A-5AA7-4017-8F51-1CE1462046DF.jpeg
    8980056A-5AA7-4017-8F51-1CE1462046DF.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 9
  • A90F94E4-52E3-4103-B014-BF39C48B7C03.jpeg
    A90F94E4-52E3-4103-B014-BF39C48B7C03.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 9
Have you ordered the Medistatin? I still believe this could be vent gleet. It has to be treated from the inside and the outside. It looks good after you soaked and cleaned her up. Coconut oil would be a good treatment for her vent while the Nystatin works from the inside.

Coconut oil will break down the yeast cell walls, killing it. So keep her well lubed with generous amounts of coconut oil.

Have you ordered the Medistatin? I still believe this could be vent gleet. It has to be treated from the inside and the outside. It looks good after you soaked and cleaned her up. Coconut oil would be a good treatment for her vent while the Nystatin works from the inside.

Coconut oil will break down the yeast cell walls, killing it. So keep her well lubed with generous amounts of coconut oil.
I have not… I looked in farm stores and couldn’t find it. Where can I order some, and be sure it’s good quality? I imagine it’s like any other thing; you can get good quality, or cheap stuff. And I forgot about the coconut oil, I will do that now. I didn’t realize it would actually kill the yeast. That’s wonderful news! It seems like she poops not long after I apply anything to her rear end though, lol. I imagine any time it has in there before she poops will be helpful, though.

See post #3. Medistatin is the animal brand of Nystatin which you can only get with a precription from a doctor. Medistatin doesn't need a prescription. It's easy to give, just sprinkle it over her food.

Do you notice any maggots or small worms moving about when you clean the vent?
Personally, I would not use Hydrogen Peroxide to clean the vent with. Saline or a mild/weak vinegar solution is what I would use.

Medistatin may be helpful. It may be vent gleet. Give it a try and see if it helps. I lean more toward this being infection of the Oviduct like Salpingitis, but could be wrong.

Seeking vet care and having testing done to see what that is will save time and possibly money on treating her if that's possible.

Do you notice any maggots or small worms moving about when you clean the vent?
Personally, I would not use Hydrogen Peroxide to clean the vent with. Saline or a mild/weak vinegar solution is what I would use.

Medistatin may be helpful. It may be vent gleet. Give it a try and see if it helps. I lean more toward this being infection of the Oviduct like Salpingitis, but could be wrong.

Seeking vet care and having testing done to see what that is will save time and possibly money on treating her if that's possible.
There were no maggots or bugs, no.

She is becoming more lethargic… wants to sleep more. I have stopped the hydrogen peroxide flushing. I’m just using heavily diluted oregano and coconut oil on her bum now.

Were you able to get Medistatin or a yeast medication to treat her like she has Gleet?

Work on hydration, then eating.
I'm sorry she's not doing very well. I fear that whatever this is, is taking it's tole on her:(

Were you able to get Medistatin or a yeast medication to treat her like she has Gleet?

Work on hydration, then eating.
I'm sorry she's not doing very well. I fear that whatever this is, is taking it's tole on her:(
Okay, so Mikes falconry has some… for $40. With shipping it would be $50.

https://www.mikesfalconry.com/produ...MIlr_Q5Zbk9AIVrWxvBB0MRQ2TEAQYAyABEgJXv_D_BwE

I looked on backyard chickens and found a page detailing ACV, wheat bran mash, yogurt, and epsom salt… I’ll try that first. I cant afford this, and the other supplements my birds have been needing. On top of that, I’ll continue the oregano as an antibiotic, and put garlic in her water… hopefully that will work. Anyone aware of other natural remedies I can try? Essential oils are one thing I have plenty of on hand, and diluted the cost is pennies per dose.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.64647/

Okay, so Mikes falconry has some… for $40. With shipping it would be $50.

https://www.mikesfalconry.com/produ...MIlr_Q5Zbk9AIVrWxvBB0MRQ2TEAQYAyABEgJXv_D_BwE

I looked on backyard chickens and found a page detailing ACV, wheat bran mash, yogurt, and epsom salt… I’ll try that first. I cant afford this, and the other supplements my birds have been needing. On top of that, I’ll continue the oregano as an antibiotic, and put garlic in her water… hopefully that will work. Anyone aware of other natural remedies I can try? Essential oils are one thing I have plenty of on hand, and diluted the cost is pennies per dose.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.64647/
Please, don't forget to always offer plain fresh water as well, as sometimessick chickens will not drink at all when there are whatever well-intentioned additives in the water.

Back
Top Bottom