Chicken vomiting water

Chiknsrcool

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
Today when my mom picked up our hen, Chip, some watery clear liquid came out of her beak. I was wondering if she is sick because she doesn’t seem lethargic and she is eating fine. She had just eaten a bunch of mealworms so it might have something to do with that. This was taken right after it happened.

Attachments

• C7153435-62AF-44CC-8737-B82D70EC01B3.png
    C7153435-62AF-44CC-8737-B82D70EC01B3.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 6
Today when my mom picked up our hen, Chip, some watery clear liquid came out of her beak. I was wondering if she is sick because she doesn’t seem lethargic and she is eating fine. She had just eaten a bunch of mealworms so it might have something to do with that. This was taken right after it happened.
They do that sometimes when they readjust their crop. Mine do it sometimes when I pick them up and they have to readjust their crop.

Today when my mom picked up our hen, Chip, some watery clear liquid came out of her beak. I was wondering if she is sick because she doesn’t seem lethargic and she is eating fine.
That sounds like it was from the hen being too full and getting the crop pressed on with nowhere else for the liquid to go.

Now, if she quits eating or does act lethargic with liquid coming from the beak.. then you would need to assess for crop issues like blocked or sour crop.

That being said.. maybe you're feeding too many meal worms if the birds are filling up THAT much!

No, I don't consider it normal and in 10 years of keeping chickens haven't YET had that happen to me. So again I say.. maybe cut back on treats.. Fluid coming up like that *could* cause them to aspirate it.. breath it into the lungs.. possibly causing pneumonia or other fungal infection inside the lungs.

Back
Top Bottom