Chicken with possible broken feet.. HELP PICS IN POST

midnitesun

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
Hunt County, Tx
Ok, So I'm a bad chicken momma, or at least hubby is:he. But yesterday morning he was out feeding horses and one of my 12 week old BR hens ran out with him, I do free range, and was stepped on by a 900# horse...
barnie.gif
She was able to get away and such. But hubby came in and told me, and I went out picked her up and she seemed fine, except her feet. They're HUGE... She couldn't walk, unless she used her wings to balance. So I put her in the coup/pen (where she couldn't get out, but the other can get in and out) And she found her a spot in the dog house/ nest box. I gave her some food and water and she ate /drank. I left her be for the night so see if maybe she would move. She didn't. I went out to feed her this morning and she hobbled out of the box to eat. She seems fine other than she can't walk. It's not an open break either.
What can I do for her feet. Or even the pain. I was going to bring her into the house, but she got upset with out her bubby, and RIR roo. And I can't bring him in the house and such.

Last edited:
Ugh! So sorry.

I can't help much, but would suggest that you keep her confined, so she doesn't need to walk. Dry warm place also. Hopefully she's just bruised. I don't think there will be a good outcome if her feet are crushed.I'm going to add a link for the aspirin solution. It may help with the swelling and pain. Good luck.

Imp

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

Thanks, I will make some up and give it to her.
I'm going to try and bring her back in this evening, again. I'm going out and checking on her every hour of so, and making sure he has water and some food. Right now she's in out chick pen, along with a few of hse sidling, who haven figured out how to get out the door. For now, it's dry, but the rain is on it's way.

If she's walking around, I would think that's a good sign. Can't imagine walking on crushed feet.(Even a chicken)

Imp- Good luck

027-1.jpg

Today just one foot looks bad. But the other one I think is broke.

028-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

See how she's standinging

026-1.jpg

She's in the house now, in a 40 gallon tub in my bedroom.
hide.gif
I'm thinking of giving her a couple of eggs to set on, or at least see if she will.
jumpy.gif
D.gif

UGH! Looks like the last girl I danced with. I'm worried sick about our horses stomping mine. Last I heard Murphy is still alive and well.
smile.png

if she was mine i would splint it and would straighten out her toes and tape them down onto something flat as well, so they heal in the correct position. other than that i dont know, sorry

The one foot will need a splint for sure. If you have electrolytes put some in the water and some (ACV) apple cider vinegar. You don't want her to get an infection of any kind right now. I am not sure what kind of splint you would make for it though.
hopefully someone with more experience will be on and reply as well.

I was wondering about a split. I was thinking of using a popsicle stick and some vet tape. I did put some electrolites in her water. Well peda-lite(unflavored). I don't have and apple cider vinager, but I can get some in the morning.

Any more ideals would be nice right now:D
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom