Chicken with "swollen" eyes

Can you get some clearer photos of her eye?
Could you tell if it was dirty, had scabs, fleas/mites?
Bubbles in the eye could be Mycoplasma, but infection from other sources can cause bubbles too. You don't mention any respiratory symptoms. I would flush the eye really well with saline and apply an eye ointment at least 2 times a day as suggested previously. Antibiotics should be your last defense. If she worsens or develops other symptoms then consider treating, but getting testing would be best.

Mycoplasma is a bacterium and does respond to antibiotic treatment, but a bird that recovers would be a carrier and those that have been living/exposed to that bird would be carriers as well.
The area around the eye is dirty, and I got some of it. But it looks more like it's just dirt. I can try to get better pictures tomorrow.

I only saw bubbles when I cleaned her "eye". I cleaned the area around her eye with wet and dry q-tips. No soap.

She acts fine aside from her swelling and those bubbles. What else could it be? Are all the possible illnesses deadly or contagious?

Edit: and the bubbles would go away after a few blinks. They were only in one eye, and that was the only time I notice any bubbles. She still lays, eats, and drinks fine.

The area around the eye is dirty, and I got some of it. But it looks more like it's just dirt. I can try to get better pictures tomorrow.

I only saw bubbles when I cleaned her "eye". I cleaned the area around her eye with wet and dry q-tips. No soap.

She acts fine aside from her swelling and those bubbles. What else could it be? Are all the possible illnesses deadly or contagious?

Edit: and the bubbles would go away after a few blinks. They were only in one eye, and that was the only time I notice any bubbles. She still lays, eats, and drinks fine.
Flush the eye out with saline, only use qtips if there is gunk in the eye - see if you can rinse the eye clean of any dirt/debris. Then get some pictures. Have someone help hold her while you work on her.

Have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last 30 days? If so, how old and where from?

Flush the eye out with saline, only use qtips if there is gunk in the eye - see if you can rinse the eye clean of any dirt/debris. Then get some pictures. Have someone help hold her while you work on her.

Have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last 30 days? If so, how old and where from?
Ok. I'll try that. Is there a chance then, that it's nothing serious?

Yes. 9 chicks. The oldest (at the time) was about 8 weeks old. We got them all at the store I work in. None of the other chicks there (that I can remember and saw. If I was there when they came in I usually was the one who counted the chicks to see how many there were) or any of my other chicks have either swollen eyes or bubbles in their eyes. It was almost four weeks ago that we introduced them, and they never touched each other directly.

Ok. I'll try that. Is there a chance then, that it's nothing serious?

Yes. 9 chicks. The oldest (at the time) was about 8 weeks old. We got them all at the store I work in. None of the other chicks there (that I can remember and saw. If I was there when they came in I usually was the one who counted the chicks to see how many there were) or any of my other chicks have either swollen eyes or bubbles in their eyes. It was almost four weeks ago that we introduced them, and they never touched each other directly.
Anytime there is swelling it's a concern. It may be an infection from debris or a peck/scratch to the eye. Infection of the eyes have many causes. Respiratory disease is one to consider as well, but to me, it looks like there is a scab so if you can get a better photo that would be helpful.

Anytime there is swelling it's a concern. It may be an infection from debris or a peck/scratch to the eye. Infection of the eyes have many causes. Respiratory disease is one to consider as well, but to me, it looks like there is a scab so if you can get a better photo that would be helpful.
Ok. Thanks again. I'll try to get a better pictures asap.

I just got this chick from a local woman. She told me her eye was missing bc she was getting pecked at but upon closer inspection it's a swollen ball. I cleaned it with warm water. It hurts her for sure. I don't have vets around here that take in chickrns, any suggestions?

Attachments

• 0605191221b.jpg
    0605191221b.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom