Chicken with "swollen" eyes

Update: so I tried to check her ears and she didn't like it, so I gave up so I wouldn't hurt her. Her eyes seemed kinda dirty today, so I cleaned up some around them. The swelling has changed little to none.

Edit: she also had some bubbles in one of her eyes when I cleaned it.

Last edited:
Update: so I tried to check her ears and she didn't like it, so I gave up so I wouldn't hurt her. Her eyes seemed kinda dirty today, so I cleaned up some around them. The swelling has changed little to none.

Eye bubbles can mean Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, which is a virus, so not directly treatable, but does open the hen up to secondary infections. I think people treat with Tylan50 for this. Input from others is appreciated.

Would love to see a pic if more bubbles form.

Eye bubbles can mean Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, which is a virus, so not directly treatable, but does open the hen up to secondary infections. I think people treat with Tylan50 for this. Input from others is appreciated.

Would love to see a pic if more bubbles form.
Ok. Is it serious or contagious?

Oh, and I seem to have found some misinformation? One source said virus, but others are saying it's a bacteria, so the antibiotics should hopefully help since you caught it early.

Yes to both. I'd isolate that bird immediately and keep a close eye on your others. Clean feeders and waterers.
Could the bubbles have just been from me cleaning her eye? They we're only on one eye.

She's already been around the other chickens. Is there still a point in seperating her?

How serious is this, whether is bacteria or a virus? Is it deadly?

IMG_2580.PNG
@AmyJane725
Is this the stuff?

That is the stuff.

Even though it's contagious, there's a chance the others don't have it yet. I'd still isolate (and clean community items) just in case it spares the others.

It is deadly. I suppose it's possible that a bird could get over it without treatment, but I certainly wouldn't leave it to chance. Respiratory infections are killers for birds.

How bad were the bubbles? Did you do something during cleaning you think could have caused them? I mean, you didn't use soap, did you?

Here is a very short thread you can look over. The OP posted a picture of the eye bubbles. Were yours comparable, or much less bad?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-my-hen-has-bubbles-in-her-eye.480071/

Could the bubbles have just been from me cleaning her eye? They we're only on one eye.

She's already been around the other chickens. Is there still a point in seperating her?

How serious is this, whether is bacteria or a virus? Is it deadly?

Can you get some clearer photos of her eye?
Could you tell if it was dirty, had scabs, fleas/mites?
Bubbles in the eye could be Mycoplasma, but infection from other sources can cause bubbles too. You don't mention any respiratory symptoms. I would flush the eye really well with saline and apply an eye ointment at least 2 times a day as suggested previously. Antibiotics should be your last defense. If she worsens or develops other symptoms then consider treating, but getting testing would be best.

Mycoplasma is a bacterium and does respond to antibiotic treatment, but a bird that recovers would be a carrier and those that have been living/exposed to that bird would be carriers as well.

Back
Top Bottom