Chicken with "swollen" eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MochaDuck, May 26, 2019.

1. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Borax eye wash

2. TheRothHomestead

TheRothHomestead In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2018
    Borax? Like whats in laundry soap?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you mean boric acid eye wash? Borax is not an eye wash and should never be used in the eye. Boric acid is a very dilute component of borax. Boric acid eye wash is considered to be toxic to infants so I would not recommend it for use in chickens.

Normal saline is available to flush eyes and is very safe. You can make your own by boiling 1 tsp of table salt in 2 cups of water. You may also use plain Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment twice a day in the eye.

Can you see the eye inside the eyelids? I am just wondering if the eyeball has been pierced and is leaking vitreous fluid from inside.

Wyorp Rock and casportpony like this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It would be best if you post a new thread of your own, since this thread is about another chicken, and we may get very confused on what chicken we are discussing. You can post your new thread here—just click on “post new thread”
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Wyorp Rock and casportpony like this.
  5. TheRothHomestead

TheRothHomestead In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2018
    I saw it briefly and its cloudy.
    The eye is cloudy, i saw it for a split second.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: