Chickens Fav Treats!!!!

Being new to chicken rearing I was hesitant to give treats. I wasn't sure how young was too young. But, I gave my seven (then 3 week old) chicks plain, cooked spaghetti noodles for the first time.THEY WENT NUTS!! Especially for the one that someone had. LOL They didn't care that there was a full bowl there.

Bread! - Have Sussex roo, 3 RIR hen, 3 Comet hen, 1 NH hen and 1 NH roo. All go crazy over bread. Stale but can't have any mold! They will tolerate and slowly eat green beans, watermelon, lettuce, etc. But bring out the bread and the squawking and dancing is on! Will jump over, go under or just push each other out of the way to get to the bread. I usually take a couple of pieces and sit on a stump in the yard. The chickens will start squawking before I sit down. Some can't wait for me to tear off a small piece and will jump on my legs to get to the source of the bread! Two pieces of bread goes awfully fast. I raise my hands and twist them around to show there is no more bread. Then they will push each other out of the way searching for a small crumb that may have fallen to the ground. After that, it's time to rub their beaks on my shoes and pant legs. I guess they're saying thanks in a chicken sort of way! Thanks goodness I work in a bakery and have access to plenty of bread. I am always to first to take old bread home. My flock is depending on me!

My girls do not like the usual! LOL but they have enjoyed...
-oats
-watermelon
-salmon
-shelled sunflower seeds
-basil
-thyme

They haven't liked...
-tomatoes
-lettuce
-strawberries
-zucchini
-squash
-yogurt
-chicken :p
-mealworms

They are my picky chickies! I am hoping they will grow to like normal chicken treats.

Good to know! I've given my girls lettuce, mealworms, cracked corn, live crickets from the bait shop, cooked rice, apples, and even a blueberry pound cake that my husband and I couldn't eat anymore leftovers from! Lol. Their favorite was the blueberry pound cake! Haha. I've got some leftover strawberries that I wasn't sure if I could feed them but after reading these posts I'm heading out there now. One thing I'm unsure of is oranges. I've read conflicting articles about whether or not they can have citrus fruit- something about it makes the eggs bad, but my girls aren't laying yet. Do you think it would be ok?

Last edited:
Definitely Spaghetti with Romano cheese.

yuckyuck.gif
HaHaHa So cute. Fancy Italian Chicken Eating Spaghetti

I have given my chickens strawberries, blueberries, oatmeal, veggies: broccoli, spinach, peppers, etc, pears, sandwiches, flowers, grass, bananas, yogurt from Yoplait, apples, applesauce, pasta, cheese, (they love cheese- raw and cooked) sometimes they like egg shells.

My girls eat everything, but watermelon, mealworms, cheese and yogurt are the favorites. And any leftovers we have, they especially seem to like mexican food?

Back
Top Bottom