Chickens pecking clothes?

May 10, 2021
I have a few chickens (They are all one year old female Sexlinks) that sorta peck at me, not very hard most of the time. They pretty much peck at places I have clothes like my sleeves or pant legs. I doubt they are trying to hurt me, it is just sorta annoying.

Why do they do this? Are they just curious? Should/Can I make them stop?

I have a few chickens (They are all one year old female Sexlinks) that sorta peck at me, not very hard most of the time. They pretty much peck at places I have clothes like my sleeves or pant legs. I doubt they are trying to hurt me, it is just sorta annoying.

Why do they do this? Are they just curious? Should/Can I make them stop?
Let the curious chooks be if they aren't causing harm. They peck simply to see if there's anything to eat.

My younger hens, about 1 year old, do this sort of pecking occasionally! At our shoes, patterns on clothing, even large freckles! It sometimes surprises the kids and make them cry.
One peck and usually their curiosity seems satisfied. If they continue I reach to pet them and they stop to squat or walk away.
Come to think of it my older hens don't peck so much, but they're different breeds too.

For the first time ever, I have the same thing going on. Main culprits are my TSC mysteries (3 pullet and a cockerel), my polish (2 pullets and one who needs tp make up their mind) and my bresse (2 cockerels and a pullet).

Not sure if raising in such giant numbers (about 40 in this group) is the main cause in my case, but theyre the friendliest birds ive ever had besides 2 single oddball hens.

Long story short, you can make them stop, or just enjoy it

One of my older hens 32 months old Barred Rock pecks my pants to get my attention. She loves to be petted and held.
All 4 of my Red sex-links 1 year old peck my shoe laces, trying to untie my shoes?
All my hens are very friendly. I bought all as day old chicks and raised myself in a brooder.
20200125_091347.jpg

GC

My 1 yrs olds don’t do it but my 14 week olds peck me a lot. To the point that right now my legs are sore from all the pecks because I just went to go sit with them for a few minutes. I wish I could break the habit. They seem like they want to eat my leggings. My son, who is ten, would often get off the school bus and go sit in the chicken run in the afternoons. Well my son likes to wipe his hands on his pants at lunch instead of using a napkin 🤦🏼‍♀️ Well that’s how it started they would peck his blue jeans and find little specks of food. Now I guess they think that my pants have hidden food too. It’s starting to get annoying. I have one pair of floral leggings that they go nuts over. They think the flowers are real I guess. I think tomorrow I may take a spray bottle of water and give a little squirt when they peck. There are a few in particular that peck pretty hard like my barred rock. I don’t want to make them scared of me but I want to stop the pecking.

I know this is a bit older, but my Speckled Sussex is always pecking at anything. My shoe, my jeans, it can be a bit annoying, but I just think she's bold and curious. (She's 14 weeks now) I find it rather hilarious.

And another one of my chickens (A Sapphire Gem, also 14 weeks) started pecking at my earbuds while I was listening to music.

I don’t want to make them scared of me but I want to stop the pecking.
If it's not TOO many chicks, you can peck them back by using your thumb and a finger to make a "beak" and tap them on the back of the neck or back to tell them to knock it off. You need to be persistent and do it hard enough that they react, but not too hard of course.

Back
Top Bottom