Chicks 2 days old food question??

Ourfamily

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2015
We been feeding them Country Road Chick Starter/Grower Medicated Feed
Uniquely designed crumble feed for chicks and pullets from day one to the onset of lay.
  • Fortified with vitamins and minerals to support healthy growth and development
  • A complete chick feed - no need for supplementation
  • Small crumbles for easy consumption
  • Medicated with Amprolium to help prevent coccidiosis
Do I need to give them grit too or not???

I give them one egg york once yesterday and today as a treat I have 6 chicks. I want to make sure I do everything right. Thanks in Advance.

Giving chicks grit is a personal preference. I would at least wait until they are a week old to give them grit, so that they can get used to their regular food. It won't hurt. Every thing your doing is great too! Keep it up!

They need grit when they are starting to consume things like grass or whole grains.

Cracked grains such as commercial chick starter and scrambled or boiled eggs don't need further grinding in the gizzard and they would not need grit for that.

Here is McMurray's recommendation:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

Sand can be used as grit for tiny chicks, but larger birds need sharp gravel the appropriate size. Or they can free range for their grit in the soil if your soil contains some gravel.

RileyCalanchini, Thank you these are our 1st batch of hens, we have ever had them before. We are very new... We have 6 they are 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Black Jersey Giant, and 1 Ameraucana,

No problem! I love the breeds you have! They're some of my favorites! I have about 35 chickens. They are a mix of Barred Rocks, Americaunas, Buff Orphingtons, White Legerns, Rhode Island Reds, OId English Bantams, Cuckoo Marans, Cochins. Welsummers, Blue Laced Wyandotte, and a few others! I also just got 5 new chick's from Tractor Supply and I have no idea what breeds they are. They will be a surprise!!!

I was also looking for Plymouth Rock and Golden Buff but no one had any right now. So maybe get some later down the road. We are enjoying them they are so spoiled already.

Back
Top Bottom