Chicks and water nipple question

TT43

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
How do you get chicks to use water nipples instead of the regular waterer where they can just dip their beak? Im struggling here. The same when I tried to convert my 18 week hens over. They seem clueless. I don't want them to thirst to death so I leave another water option out for them as well.

Attachments

• 20200716_074158.jpg
    20200716_074158.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 26
Because you are giving them another option which is familiar they most likely won’t swap. A few weeks ago we changed over from a tractor supply purchased water dish to a cup system fed from a rain barrel & took out all other options. We did watch carefully the first day to ensure they were drinking. All it took was 1 to figure out the system & everyone else followed along

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,019 KB · Views: 9
Remove the other water source and after a couple hours slowly (So you don’t scare your chicks) get your hand in the brooder and tap the nipples to get drops of water to come out. Once one figures it out then the rest will follow. I usually convert them when they are a week old. If it doesn’t work and your worried that your chicks are going to dehydrate then try again at two weeks. I’ve only had one batch that didn’t take to them on the first attempt.

Back
Top Bottom