Chicks won't pip?

PoppysChickens

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2016
Started with 15 eggs 26 days ago and they all did not pip most developed chicks but died. Put in 25 eggs from two different breeders 23 days ago and have had two of them that piped and hatched and doing well. One more did pip and died this morning. I have more 6 eggs left now that are alive after water candling but still won't pip humidity is fine at 70, I can't understand what has happened and why they won't pip they just all die one by one. I am using a little giant incubator that worked pretty good a couple of months ago but ordered a Genesis Hova 1588 yesterday maybe it's the incubator is too spiratic don't guess there is anything I can do for the 6 eggs left, sad :(

I think most of us that hatch a lot know how you feel. It's very discouraging to lose most of our eggs, especially when you know the chicks were alive up until the end.

Last year I had some of my worst hatches ever and I've been hatching for many years. There can be a lot of reasons for this to happen. In my case I discovered that the new turner I was using would jerk whenever it tried to turn. This can disrupt the nerve formation in the developing baby and they will fail to hatch. My husband took the turner apart and sanded the rough edges that were causing it to stick. The turner worked perfectly afterward.

Another thing that can affect hatching is the health of the parents. This time of year most breeders are coming out of molt and may not have fully recovered. Winter is not a natural time of year for birds to produce healthy chicks and if your birds are just getting layer mix the babies may not have all the vitamins and minerals need to hatch properly. I add vitamins to the bird's drinking water for a month before collecting eggs this time of year.

These are only a small part of the reasons for a bad hatch. I hope your next one is better.

By the way...........
welcome-byc.gif

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Last edited:
Yes it is discouraging but I will not give up and look forward to my new air circulated Genesis Hova incubator verses the cheap still air one that I have. I also read where while using a egg turner I should have transferred the eggs to a egg carton cut from the top to allow zip and bottom to allow air flow verses laying them on their side during lockdown, I think will help it only makes sense that the egg should stay vertical as they were the first 18 days. I do still have 5 eggs left that are still alive and two of my lavender ameracauna's hatched and are doing well! Got 24 more variety of eggs being shipped along with the new incubator!

40 to 50 then 70 to 75 after day 18 for humidity, I tried to keep the temp at 100 but the cheap little giant incubator went from 99 to 102 speratically I have a Genesis Hava 1588 on its way now the little giant is going in the dumpster where it belongs or I may use it to dry the chicks out or as a emergency back up.

Back
Top Bottom