chicks

DancesWithWolves

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
how far does the lamp have to be raised up (above the shavings) in the brooder??? I am getting my chicks in 30 minutes and it just so happens i forgot to look up this minor detail!!! HELP!
D.gif

btw the booder is home-made out of corigated cicular card board that is around 1 foot or so high. I also have 2 waterers and 2 feeders there will be 25 chicks. ( maybe u need this info)

Last edited:
We hung it as high as we could to get to 90 degrees. It's fine if it's low in the brooder just as long as it's secure (attach with zip ties or something) and out of their way. Just depends on the design of the brooder itself.

I definently post pics....so just until it is 90 degres?? ok i can handle that...i think...what do u measure it with just a regular thermometer?

You usually want 95 degrees the first week and then drop by 5 degrees each week. 85 would be too cold for most chicks. Watch them for awhile. If they are huddling under the heat lamp they are cold. I have noticed that mine are avoiding the area directly under the heat lamp. I am going to raise it about one inch tomorrow.

I don't use a thermometer at all.
hide.gif
I just adjust the red brooder lamp until the chickens appear comfortable. So far I have been very fortunate because they have seemed happy and comfy from day one. Is it a bad thing to solely judge things based on the behavior of the chicks?

Back
Top Bottom