Choosing rooster or 2 to keep

I'm new at choosing roosters, having lucked out with Marion in my in-town flock, but aggression will be a definite no-go.

I'm going to have to pick among 5-6 of my Blue Australorps from the latest order and I'm going to look for rapid growth, solid health, good conformation -- not necessarily in the breed-to-SOP sense but in having a well-balanced shape with good proportions -- and, because they're blue, good coloration.

I wear any colors or patterns that i have, including bright red, orange, or whatever. I'm still the giant who brings food, regardless, and don't accept excuses for idiots who attack me, for any reason.

Having read so many accounts of chickens freaking out because the keeper changed clothing I've made a point of wearing different things when tending them.

Except for my muck boots. Muck boots in the coop are non-negotiable.

Great advice so far. One thing that works for me with aggressive roosters is to act as their "wing man". As mentioned these are immature cockerels but being protective is their job. Ours get agitated if we pick up a hen and she is vocal. I like to give a treat to the rooster which he then shares with the hen(note-mature roosters do this, more frequently the immature ones don't share because they haven't figured things out) This gives him points with the hen and he no longer sees me as a threat. Of course some may be aggressive despite this, I had a bantam Cochin rooster who flogged me everyday no matter what. But because of his size he was essentially harmless and he took care of his girls. Obviously I would not tolerate the same behavior from a full size rooster.

Thank you, everyone, for excellent guidance as usual. My end goal is first of all flock warning/protection and less of a priority would be hatching some eggs once a year or so. The 1st rooster I had was a champ at this but died doing his duty.
I also have zero tolerance for human aggression, but since they are still teens and he hasn't actually done anything yet, I wasn't sure if I should give him a chance to chill. My instinct was to cull him the 1st time he ran up on me. I guess I have flashbacks from the farm growing up and getting flogged.
For now, I have a chicken tractor I will put Alpha in and see what happens. Thanks again!

I wear any colors or patterns that i have, including bright red, orange, or whatever. I'm still the giant who brings food, regardless, and don't accept excuses for idiots who attack me, for any reason.
As @aart mentioned, walk around out there, and walk through them, never around, especially the cockerels and roosters. I walk and talk, don't run, scream, or act anything but calm. I will call them for treats, but not every day, just often enough that the flock will come running.
I expect the cockerels to learn good rooster behaviors, as they mature, and as the roosters and hens educate them. The cockerels don't start out doing it right, but over a few months, they develop better social skills. Jerks leave!
Chickens can recognize individual humans, practice facial recognition, and it really doesn't matter what's being worn'Mary

Same here...tho I mostly wear dull tones.
But carrying something(ladder, leaf bags, tools, etc) into the area can upset them,
that's where the soft voice comes in, I talk to them that "it's OK" and they calm down.

The cockerels behavior is normal at that age and hormone level. If you want to keep all 3, they need there own space away from the hen for 2 to 4 months.

It's only temporary, there hormone will subside. And you can put them back with the hens at a later time. And you will see how calm they'll be.

but I was wondering if, like with dogs, there are certain things to do/not do to keep them on their best behavior.
Many chickens are afraid of bright red, orange or rubyred colours and wild big graphic patterns. The react alarmed and roosters will often attack the object showing the above mentioned colours or patterns.

So it would be best to avoid the agitation by wearing muted colours while attending to chicken tasks.

i tried grabbing an aggressive roo and pinning it down for about a minute. i saw video on youtube. it worked! ...after 3 tries.

Back
Top Bottom