Chukar partridge was injured in a fight. Injured neck, PLEASE HELP

KrissyroxNJ

Chirping
Jan 6, 2019
Hi, the three partridges that I rescued had a fight. I had no idea which ones were boys or girls, so I guess now I know. My one chukar injured the other badly and I don't knows injur how to help. I think he tore his feathers off and made him bleed but I do not know the extent of his injuries since I only scooped him up and put him out of the coop so he is no longer in harm's way. My question is will he heal? How can I help him? Do vets see wild birds? Should I put ointment on his neck? Please help!
partridge.jpg

Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
General wound care is to flush/clean the wounds - you can use saline, betadine, hibiclens and/or warm soapy water.
Trim the feathers away from the wound so you can get a good look at the wound.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn.

Is your bird eating/drinking o.k.?

I just wanted to share this picture with you, there is much chance your bird will heal up just fine. This is one of my hens (picture from today) that was very nearly scalped by her flock mates, it initially looked much worse than your bird. Happened about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I did as @Wyorp Rock suggested to you for treatment. Flushed it out well, applied plain neosporin, separated her to keep it from getting further pecked. I reapplied neosporin as needed until it formed a solid scab, then left it alone. As you can see it has healed up well, scab has come off, still doesn't have feathers, but she is back with the flock and doing fine.
headwound.jpg

Back
Top Bottom