1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning up after brooding indoors

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kitana724, May 29, 2017.

1. Kitana724

Kitana724 Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Western NY
    Hello everyone. Any wisdom, tips or tricks for cleaning up brooder dust inside? We kept our 24 chicks in the basement and there is dust everywhere...just wondering if anyone has any brilliant ideas before I try and shop vac every inch of the basement!

Thanks in advance.

2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    I was just gonna post hoover lol then i saw this bit! any brilliant ideas before I try and shop vac every inch of the basement!

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Vacuum, mop, scrub... I brooded in a small bathroom and the stuff seemed to coat everything and I definitely spent a good couple of hours scrubbing the dust off everything.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Ol Grey Mare likes this.
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yep. In addition to the greasy dusty film that covers every surface, indoor brooding is a horror show for any one with any kind of respiratory issues. Um... that would be me. Even brooding chicks in my garage (raised ranch) which is under the bedroom end of the house, and opening the door on warm days, my lungs noticed the chick dander. There is no easy way to clean up after indoor brooding.

Ol Grey Mare likes this.
  7. jeria

jeria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2017
    Independence MO
    Hoping mine works OK.. The location was decided taking chick dust into consideration. They will be in a basement laundry room with the interior door closed to keep miss kitty out. There is another door leading to the garage stairs. There is no cold air return in that room so hoping it won't spread too badly. I also use no scented laundry products as that in many cases could be a concern.

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Yeah I definitely don't want to brood indoors again after that. Had to do it once to see firsthand just how nasty the "dust" really is (at least I used the bathtub as a brooder, that part cleaned up quite well).

9. Kitana724

Kitana724 Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Western NY
    Yep. This was my first time brooding and the lesson has been learned. Now that we have a coop in the barn with electric, the next batch will be staying out!

Thanks everyone. Waiting for a rainy day to don a mask and clean it all up. It will be a nightmare (it's a large basement with a lot of stuff) but it will allow me to sort and declutter in the process if we are looking in the bright side...

10. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We raised the last batch indoors and it is the last. Next time we brood in the coop with the Mama Heating Pad

Ol Grey Mare likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by