Cleaning up after brooding indoors

Kitana724

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
Western NY
Hello everyone. Any wisdom, tips or tricks for cleaning up brooder dust inside? We kept our 24 chicks in the basement and there is dust everywhere...just wondering if anyone has any brilliant ideas before I try and shop vac every inch of the basement!

Thanks in advance.

Vacuum, mop, scrub... I brooded in a small bathroom and the stuff seemed to coat everything and I definitely spent a good couple of hours scrubbing the dust off everything.

Last edited:
Yep. In addition to the greasy dusty film that covers every surface, indoor brooding is a horror show for any one with any kind of respiratory issues. Um... that would be me. Even brooding chicks in my garage (raised ranch) which is under the bedroom end of the house, and opening the door on warm days, my lungs noticed the chick dander. There is no easy way to clean up after indoor brooding.

Hoping mine works OK.. The location was decided taking chick dust into consideration. They will be in a basement laundry room with the interior door closed to keep miss kitty out. There is another door leading to the garage stairs. There is no cold air return in that room so hoping it won't spread too badly. I also use no scented laundry products as that in many cases could be a concern.

Yeah I definitely don't want to brood indoors again after that. Had to do it once to see firsthand just how nasty the "dust" really is (at least I used the bathtub as a brooder, that part cleaned up quite well).

Yep. This was my first time brooding and the lesson has been learned. Now that we have a coop in the barn with electric, the next batch will be staying out!

Thanks everyone. Waiting for a rainy day to don a mask and clean it all up. It will be a nightmare (it's a large basement with a lot of stuff) but it will allow me to sort and declutter in the process if we are looking in the bright side...

Back
Top Bottom