It does look like egg material coming from her vent. Sometimes a hen will have a shell-less egg burst inside. Have you seen any signs of a membrane or shell? You might want to give her some extra calcium, in the form of a human calcium tablet, Tums, or a finely crushed whole egg shell and a little cooked egg. You can do that for several days to see if her egg shells improve.

It does look like egg material coming from her vent. Sometimes a hen will have a shell-less egg burst inside. Have you seen any signs of a membrane or shell? You might want to give her some extra calcium, in the form of a human calcium tablet, Tums, or a finely crushed whole egg shell and a little cooked egg. You can do that for several days to see if her egg shells improve.
I will get her some more oyster shell tomorrow. I ran out last week. Is there anything else i need to do besides get her oyster shell and pray?

Hens may not eat enough of the oyster shell to treat something like this. If you don’t have calcium tablets or Tumas, just pop an egg shell into the food processor with a little scrambled egg, maybe 1/2 one. Then feed it to her. Layer feed and oyster shell are good to have day to day, but with an acute problem, you need to get some calcium into her right away.

Well I am concerned but what am I supposed to do?
I would go check her to see if that is still hanging out. Give her bottom a clean-up and see if there's discharge leaking from the vent.
Give her some calcium and poultry vitamins, then put her back in the coop. Re-Check in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom