Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
Went to check on the hens before bed and noticed one was acting different. She has clear liquid coming from her vent when she jumped on the roost bar some of it dripped below her and the other hens wanted to eat it? Could this be an egg broken inside of her? And if so, what can I do. Please help!

It does look like egg material coming from her vent. Sometimes a hen will have a shell-less egg burst inside. Have you seen any signs of a membrane or shell? You might want to give her some extra calcium, in the form of a human calcium tablet, Tums, or a finely crushed whole egg shell and a little cooked egg. You can do that for several days to see if her egg shells improve.

Hens may not eat enough of the oyster shell to treat something like this. If you don’t have calcium tablets or Tumas, just pop an egg shell into the food processor with a little scrambled egg, maybe 1/2 one. Then feed it to her. Layer feed and oyster shell are good to have day to day, but with an acute problem, you need to get some calcium into her right away.

Well I am concerned but what am I supposed to do?
I would go check her to see if that is still hanging out. Give her bottom a clean-up and see if there's discharge leaking from the vent.
Give her some calcium and poultry vitamins, then put her back in the coop. Re-Check in the morning.

So you think I should clean her butt too tonight if there is still yolk substance there?

I'm just really confused with the whole situation. I saw her in the egg box earlier today so wouldn't that mean she would have laid an egg?
I would clean her up and check to make sure the membrane has been expelled. Also see if there is a discharge of egg yolk/matter coming out of the vent.
She may have been in the nesting box, I've had hens that had shell-less eggs in the box, but they did not lay the egg, the membrane was very hard for them to pass.

Here's picstures:
20190723_202917.jpg
20190723_202829.jpg

Attachments

• 20190723_202829.jpg
    20190723_202829.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190723_202829.jpg
    20190723_202829.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom