Coccidiosis infected birds feeding to dogs.

Samanthacr

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2022
Can anyone advise me if it is safe to feed raw chickens that have been infected with Coccidiosis to dogs. The chickens have not been on medicated feed or medication. Thankyou.

Can anyone advise me if it is safe to feed raw chickens that have been infected with Coccidiosis to dogs. The chickens have not been on medicated feed or medication. Thankyou.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

All chickens carry some coccidia in their gut.. coccidiosis indicates too many grew.. Did they pass from it?

Dogs can catch coccidiosis.. at least my local shelter was shut down (to outside traffic) for a bout with it and giardia a while back.

However.. the strains are generally species specific.. is my understanding.. though I wouldn't dare think a bird couldn't be carrying a strain that wasn't effecting IT but might effect another species that ate it's droppings/etc.. which my dogs DO.. one of my pups did get a coccidia feedback on a fecal float (asymptomatic, routine float).. my (trusted) avian vet said MUST have come from the breeder and was NOT contracted by eating the chicken waste at my place.

So for me personally.. I would have NO problem feeding it to my HEALTHY dogs (not litter of pups).

See post # 10 in the following thread link for some good info and another fantastic link (merck vet manual)..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/can-chickens-give-coccidiosis-to-dogs.83470/

Back
Top Bottom