coccidiosis

bluemaranman

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2016
I had coccidiosis and treated my 11 week old chicks with corid a couple weeks ago. all seems well now after losing 8 chicks i still have about 30. my question is this. will my incubated chicks next spring then put in brooder then to new homes from these now 11 week old hens be affected next spring or should i not worry about this disease in next years chicks.

Coccidia is in your soil, so many use a low preventative dose of Corid in young chickens a few weeks old. I like to use a large clump of sod in my broody for baby chicks to give them early exposure to the soil to help build up their tolerance. I also use some chick grit to help digest the grass in the clump of sod.

if the new chicks never touch my soil will they still be affected. they will go from incubator to brooder to new home

can i put 1/2 teaspoon of corid in a gallon of water and give to day old chicks for a couple days next spring

I don’t know that I would treat that early. You may want the new owners to give a preventative treatment when they are a few weeks old, or if any show symptoms. Hopefully, others will chime in with opinions.

can anyone else help me.
I had coccidiosis and treated my 11 week old chicks with corid a couple weeks ago. all seems well now after losing 8 chicks i still have about 30. my question is this. will my incubated chicks next spring then put in brooder then to new homes from these now 11 week old hens be affected next spring or should i not worry about this disease in next years chicks.
if the new chicks never touch my soil will they still be affected. they will go from incubator to brooder to new home
can i put 1/2 teaspoon of corid in a gallon of water and give to day old chicks for a couple days next spring

I'm sorry for your loss.
I see you are asking for more help?

There is no way to know if the chicks you hatch next year will suffer from a Coccidiosis overload or not. Even brooder raised chicks that never touch ground can have an overload if the conditions are right. Wet litter, chicks eating poop, weather, etc. all need to be factored in.

You are borrowing worry - an overload may never happen, but being prepared and having Corid on hand to treat the chicks, managing your brooder to ensure bedding is dry/poop is cleaned up, fresh food/clean water and control overcrowding will go a long way in having healthy chicks.
You need to understand what Coccidiosis is - it is a protozoa, it can be found in soil and chicken poop. Placing some sod in the brooder can help chicks build resistance, but if you are selling chicks, then what is in your soil won't necessarily be in the soil that the buyer has. I am like @Eggcessive I would not give a "preventative" dose of Corid to day old chicks, if you feel there is a problem, then it may be better to feed medicated chick starter, inform your customers of what you are feeding, then they can make the decision to use that or not.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

I had a pen for chicks after they were 2 or 3 weeks old they all went into the pen. I knew the pen had coccidiosis in the soil, chicks raised in this pen never got coccidiosis only when I brought in new chickens then a new strain could be carried to my soil, or the new chickens could aquire the coccidiosis in my soil. You did right by treating corid. I never treat young birds with corid since if they are in your soil they will have immunity to the coccidiosis there but if you plan to sell them or bring in new stock, like the above user stated let the new owners treat them and let them know they havent been treated yet. If you bring in new stock I always dose the new chickens and the ones that are already in my yard so they are all protected.

Back
Top Bottom