Coccidiosis?

vancefarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013
I am new to raising chickens and ducks. I noticed what looked like blood in the poop. I thought it might be Coccidiosis but none of my chickens look ill. My youngest son said he feed them some red berries. Should I treat them just in case or wait for signs? Also we just butchered our first rooster, should I not eat it? My hens like to perch on this old dog house and this is what I found.

It won't take long for the berries to be out of their systems, so if you see any more poop like that, it's probably blood. I'm not sure, but it looks like there could be some clotting in there.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help and support. I guess it is coccidiosis, I just found my biggest rooster dead in the garden. Starting corid treatment.
sad.png

There is a difference between blood in the stool or bloody stool, and berries in the bowels, which is what this looks like. In other words the picture of the top of the dog house looks like your chickens have been eating poke weed berries.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one (and I mean that in the nicest way possible), but it looks like pure blood to me.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom