Per my previous post, here are some photos of the patterns I was asking about:

57046_dscn0279_medium.jpg

57046_dscn0276_medium.jpg

57046_dscn0282_medium.jpg

57046_dscn0283_medium.jpg

So, thoughts on the genetics of these?

Dave

Quote:
dave, black is never just black, it is always masking another color either silver or gold, it appears you have some with both, they will be extended black in base which is not that big of a deal, The cockrells just did not inherit all the melanizers to hide the colors, what you have are suedo brown red, and suedo Birchen, there like golden in there too. If you like the hackle color you can breed your birds to retain that, place them back over thier mothers. if you don't want to retain it then do not breed from them. but IMO a mottled with the silver hackle, wing bow, and saddle would be a beautiful bird.

Quote:
gorgeous!

smile.png
Thank you MJ and cici ~~
my neighbors call him The Cotton Ball lol..
I sold him this year, to a 4H home. He gave me some nice babies, and I kept two of his boys, who have smooth feathers. I could use regular ol' feathers more in the breeding pens. It was a hard choice though.

Quote:
True.... I am working on isolating dominant Di Dilute from self buff chochins so I bred her to a Er EOG, I am expecting Di to dilute the saddle feathers even more then the normal blue lemon phenotype looks like..
tongue.png

I just looked at what photos I could find of lemon blue cochins and read the SOP color description for it. It seemed as though most of the roosters I saw were much lighter (based on blue splash?) rather than dark bodies like my previous photo. I realize he needs some back and saddle lemon, but is he too dark to work into a lemon blue breeding project?

Most of my b/b/s are of a darker blue than what many appear - although the F1 blue mottles are lighter (an lacking a lot of mottling at this point). Both the darker blues and blue mottles have fine lacing (thicker than a pencil mark but definitely not as wide as a marker mark).

I also noticed pne blue female as several of the gold hackle feathers. Would she be a candidate to breed into one of the "gold/silver marked" males? I assume a black bodied male would be "better" than a blue one?

Dave

Quote:
Per my 2006 Bantam SOP, "Mottled" plumage is Black. But I know Blue Mottleds are being shown. I would just write the Variety on your entry form as "Blue Mottled" - they will probably be judged with the AOV. But I can't find "Blue Mottled" in my SOP as a recognized plumage variety for any breed - so I'm not sure what standard they would use to judge the bird against.

Maybe "Blue Mottled" has been accepted as a standard plumage variety by the ABA since 2006, and I missed it in my quarterly newsletters. Does anyone know?

I don't believe that blue mottle is SOP at this point. I have seen a few breeders working on it and decided to give a shot as I have both mottles and blues. Some I've seen are more "self-blue" mottled (lacking lacing) and some are laced. Mine (so far) have been of the laced appearance. Interesting many of my black mottles appear to be "black laced blacks" in that they show no purple/green sheen on the edges of body feathers that are not mottled.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom